Athletes of the Week: Lauren Kerzner and Isabella Izquierdo

Athletes of the Week: Lauren Kerzner (Left) and Isabella Izquierdo (Right)

Mr. Romero

Robert DeDonatis, Staff Writer

Our Lady Cavaliers had a very successful week with seniors Isabella Izquierdo and Lauren Kerzner leading the team.

Kerzner scored two goals against Coral Park and assisted two of the five goals against Alonzo Mourning, getting her a spot as one of this week’s two athletes of the week.

Q: When did you start playing soccer and why?

A: I started playing soccer when I was eleven, which is very late for a typical soccer player but I was into ballet before and wanted to switch things up. I knew my dad was a great soccer player when he was young, so I decided to give it a try and I completely fell in love with it.

Q: As a senior, do you plan to continue to play soccer after you graduate?

A: I’ve been looked at to play for a couple schools, but nowhere I am really interested in. I would love to continue to play at the college level. My plan is to try out as a walk-on for whatever school I plan on going to and if that doesn’t work I will just play intramural soccer.

Q: Do you have any pre-game rituals that you can accredit to your great performance?

A:  I have a kind of quirky thing I do before the game starts where I do little hops to loosen my muscles, but I guess you could say that’s my signature thing to do.

Q: How do you feel about having won athlete of the week?

A: It’s actually really humbling, you work really hard at something so it’s nice to get some recognition for all the work. I t honestly makes everything worth it and only motivates me to keep up my work ethic maybe even work a little harder.

Izquierdo has also been having a great year and has managed to keep a clean sheet against both Coral Park and Alonzo Mourning as the goalie for our Lady Cavaliers.

Q: When did you start playing soccer, and why?

A: I started playing soccer when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I was originally a ballerina, but the girls there weren’t really my type of crowd. So I decided to leave the dance world and join a team sport and I fell in love with soccer.

A: I would love to continue playing soccer at school, but it will most probably be by joining an intramural team.

A: Before every game the girls and I get in a circle, hold hands and do a little prayer. We always say the date and say little things to motivate each other about the game. Other than that, sometimes I sleep on the bus and I like to watch Netflix as well because it calms me down.

A: I feel honored to have won athlete of the week. It’s something I’ve always wanted to accomplish throughout high school and I’m so happy that I was able to do so because it’s my senior year. I also think it’s amazing that I was athlete of the week with Lauren, who is one of my friends and one of the best soccer players I know.

Thanks to Izquierdo and Kerzner, the soccer team is succeeding, but of course they couldn’t have done it all without the help of the rest of the team. Make sure to root for these Lady Cavaliers as they finish out their season.