What do you Think of Beauty Pageants?

betcheslovethis.com

A widely known movie, Miss Congeniality, is just one example of how pop culture criticizes beauty pageants.

Maria Estrada, Spanish Editor

In general, beauty pageants are conceptually topics of controversy. Beauty pageants began in the 1850s and served as a way for women to have a voice in a patriarchal society where they were forced to lead domestic lives. The “Miss Universe” pageant is just one example of modern-day beauty pageants that easily cause controversy. Here is what some Cavaliers had to say on the subject:

Beauty pageants often perpetuate flawed stereotypical views of women and enforce ideals created by the patriarchy, which some women feel they have to live up to, lowering their self-esteem.

— senior Laura Acosta

I don’t pay attention to that stuff. It’s really shallow, in my opinion.

— senior Nic Dabby

I think there are two ways in which beauty pageants can be looked upon. On one hand, it helps insecure girls feel pretty and lets them gain the confidence they don’t have, but on the other hand it shows an unrealistic standard of beauty.

— junior Iomara Morejon

I think beauty pageants are demeaning to women.

— sophomore Holden Payne

Beauty is not defined by nice dresses and make up, and the pageants set unreal standards for women watching.

— sophomore Julian Elortegui

Beauty pageants can be extremely harming to little girls growing up. They are shoved into a world of glitz and glamour where they are taught that in order to succed they must look perfect. They portray women as these perfect dolls, implying that our beauty is more important than our intelligence.

— freshman Yvanna Cajina

What do you think of beauty pageants? Share your opinion below!