Gables Gets A New Building!

What the new building would look like. It will take the place of the 6000 and 7000 buildings.

Nikita Leus-Oliva, Business Manager

On Thursday, March 22nd, there was a General Obligation Bond (GOB) Town Hall meeting held in the school auditorium. Here, students, teachers, parents, and administrators were shown the plans for demolition of the 6000 hall (business building), 7000 hall (JROTC room, Gablette room, weightlifting, etc.) and old cafeteria. These buildings will be replaced by a new building, that will have the same capacity as the buildings it is replacing.

Within the plans for the new building are features not seen in the current buildings, like windows in every room.

“I am glad that the school is finally taking a step towards beautifying our campus. As one of the oldest schools in the district, it is about time we invest in the preservation of our campus to ensure a safe classroom environment for all,” junior Nicole Verdesoto said.

Construction is set to start in December of 2018. While students will be displaced during the construction, school board officials remain confident that adequate accommodations will be made so that every student is accounted for.

“The students along with the faculty of Coral Gables deserve to have a campus that truly caters to a productive work environment; I am excited to see what Gables will look like,” senior Emilio Gonzalez said.

Some of the school board officials at the event included our school board member, Mari Tere Rojas, and Superintendent Alberto Carvahlo.