Robotics Club Engineers New 3D Printer

Jake Paz, Staff Writer

This past week, the Gables Robotics Club recently added a new gadget to their arsenal of gizmos: a new 3D printer, designed to create 3-dimensional objects with just the click of a mouse. Unlike any ordinary printer, the 3D printer works by melting any given material and then layering consecutive horizontal layers until the desired object is created.

The 3D printer beginning to make a miniature Statue of Liberty.
Jose Rendon

“To get the 3D printer to work you first need to use a 3D design program like AutoCAD to make a design, or you could download one from a website. Then you import it into a software specifically designed to control the printer and that’s all to it,” sophomore Javier Feliz said.

Now that the 3D printer has been successfully acquired, the Robotics Club has great plans in store for the printer, including designing custom parts for future projects or whatever even new creations. Having a 3D printer does however come with great responsibility, and major expenses! The actual printer itself cost the club a whopping $1200 as well as the purchase of refillable plastic rolls necessary to print.

Voila! The finished product!
Jose Rendon
Voila! The finished product!

“We are planing on using the 3D printer to design our own equipment or whatever we feel like creating since that is the whole point of Robotics Club. Currently I’m working on 3D printing a working manual transmission,” Robotics Club President and junior Jose Rendon said.

This tiny robot is just one of the many things the 3D printer can make.
Jake Paz
This 3D Robot is just over one inch tall but took over 20 minutes to make!

In order to combat the expenses of the machine, the Robotics Club aspires to fundraise next year by using the printer to selling custom-printed phone cases and key chains for a small fee. This money will be used to keep the machine running, and to purchase refill rolls of any necessary material. The options are endless when you can take any digital design and watch it gradually materialize before your very eyes.