Volvo Ocean Race

James Burke

The Volvo Ocean Race is a sailing competition of great prestige.

Sofia Bratt, Staff Writer

Not many people know about the Volvo Ocean Race, the most intense sailing race in the world that has been living life at the extreme since 1973. The race has evolved considerably from the Corinthian adventure of the original Whitbread Round the World Race to the fully professional campaigns that make up the Volvo Ocean Race today.

“I think the Volvo Ocean Race is a super exhilarating and exciting race around the world,” junior Gracie Howie said.

The first edition of Whitbread took sailors into the roughest and most dangerous parts of the ocean, evidenced by the fact that three sailors lost their lives in the first race. Luckily today, the boats are fully advanced and take on almost any weather, while the skipper and crew are highly experienced. The bar is set high, with sailing world champions, Olympic medalists and America’s Cup veterans all drawn to compete in the sport’s ultimate challenge.

“The Volvo Ocean Race is incredible; I don’t think I could ever take on a sailing race like that,” sophomore Holden Payne said.

The 2014-2015 Volvo Ocean race first set off on Oct. 11, 2014 in Alicante, Spain and will be reaching its final destination on June 27, 2015 in Gothenburg, Sweden. In between those two ports, the seven teams stop at Cape Town, Abu Dhabi, Sanya, Aukland, Itajai, Newport, Lisbon and lastly Orient. The seven brave teams competing are: Team SCA, Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing Team, Dongfeng Racing Team, Team Brunel, Team Alvimedica, MAPFRE and Team Vestas Wind. This year’s race includes the first all-girls team known as Team SCA, which still works as hard as the men. On the other hand, Team Vestas Wind is currently not racing due to running aground on a reef on the tiny and remote St. Brandon atoll in the Indian Ocean. The team is working hard every day to fix the boat and get back on the water.

“I think it’s really amazing that the volovo ocean race takes place in so many different parts of the world, its the biggest and most premier sailboat races in which you encounter yourself with all kinds of people.”

— senior Rachel Ellis

On the Volvo Ocean Race’s website you have the opportunity to follow each boat and see how it handles every day conditions and situations. It’s truly eye-opening to see a group of experienced sailors take on the toughest race of a lifetime.