Staff Profile
Angelina Morffi
Angelina Morffi
CavsConnect Co-Editor-in-Chief
Support Us

Poll

What are your Spring Break plans?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Ms. Silvia Yanes, Rookie Teacher of the Year, Finds Her Way Back to Gables

Having a close connection with Gables, Ms. Yanes brings a new meaning to being a Cavalier
Kate Kuryla
Ms. Silvia Yanes stands next to the Cavalier mascot. Being a Cavalier most of her life, she is proud to become Rookie Teacher of the Year.

From spending her time as a Little Cavalier on the school playground to standing before her classroom full of students, Ms. Yanes’s life has always revolved around Coral Gables Senior High. Pursuing to make teaching a life-long career, her first year has made a stellar impression by being nominated for the Rookie Teacher of the Year Award. Through a journey of being a multiple era Cavalier, Ms. Yanes’s story brings the true meaning of what it means to receive this accolade.

Selected out of three other teachers at Gables, Ms. Yanes’s new presence has already made a significant contribution to her students. With the award procedures continuing on the Miami-Dade County Public Schools nominating committee to select the top four, they are then moved to the finalist section where one is selected as the official Rookie Teacher of the Year. 

Graduating, from the Little Cavaliers Pre-School, Ms. Yanes spent most of her childhood around the campus. (Courtesy of Ms. Yanes)

“This recognition means a lot to me. I’m very proud of myself and all of my hard work. The moment I found out I had been selected, I was overcome with excitement. I can’t wait to see what my future at Gables holds,” Ms. Yanes said.

Having a solid background, Ms. Yanes developed her Cavalier pride at the Little Cavaliers Pre-School. With both her parents working at Gables, her mom as an office secretary and her dad a security guard, Ms. Yanes knew her way around the school fairly well. Being beside her future high school, her time as a Little Cavalier was embraced as a second place of comfort.

“Gables has always held a special place in my heart. All of us feel like one big family here, and that’s something I especially love. My parents worked here for over 30 years, so this is my home away from home,” Ms. Yanes said. 

Between her time leaving pre-school, Ms. Yanes had always known that she wanted to pursue something in education as a future career. Getting instilled a love for the school scene by her parents, she developed a strong love for teaching. With endless support to accomplish her feelings, she worked towards her dream.

Ms. Yanes graduated with the class of 2011. She enjoyed her experience as a student at Gables. (Kate )

Entering the scene of the high school lifestyle in 2007, Ms. Yanes was focused on her studies. Always having a close relationship with her teachers, they helped guide her through her four years of high school. Along the way, Ms. Yanes began to acquire the qualities of communicating with others which she would use in her classroom.

Leaving Gables behind in 2011, Ms. Yanes graduated from Miami-Dade College last year, earning her degree in special education. Having her heart already set on teaching at Gables, she applied for the job, hoping that she would be accepted back into the Cavalier family. Within a few months, she was hired, and soon re-entered back through the doors of Gables.

“I’ve always wanted to work as a teacher, but when I got a job at Gables, it felt like I was back home. Being able to work in the place that I grew up in is a really special experience, and I’m so grateful that I have the opportunity to work with people that I’ve known for my entire life. Coming back to Gables was like second nature for me,” Ms. Yanes said.

Now working as a first-year teacher, Ms. Yanes has stepped up to take multiple teaching positions. Working with students in the Exceptional Student Education Program, she has been able to guide these students on their pathway to success by preparing them for life outside of school. Not only working in the ESE Program, she also co-teaches math with Ms. Reinoso, collaborates with world history in Mr. Pollard’s classroom and comes together with Mrs. Camacho and Mrs. Fleita for English. Whilst independently teaching two world history classes, Ms. Yanes’s jam-packed schedule helps cultivate her dedication to prioritizing her students.

“Ms. Yanes has changed my entire perspective on teaching. Because of her encouragement, I am now looking at a future career in teaching. She’s always been so understanding and supportive with me,” senior Ashley Cabrera said.

As her time in Gables continues to evolve, Ms. Yanes intends to remain at her dream job. Grateful that she gets to work at the place she grew up, she feels supported by her fellow teachers. With many of them seeing her throughout the years at Gables, whether it was being a Little Cavalier or as a high school student, they have established a close bond. Though she is unsure if she will stick to teaching just one subject, she is eager to continue her journey as an educator.

“I want all my students to feel comfortable at Gables just like I did. When I was a high school student, I enjoyed my time here. There was a sense of camaraderie between us all. All the teachers supported their students no matter the circumstance, and that is something I have continued to do in my teaching career,” Ms. Yanes said.