Cavaliers Pool Through the Deep End of Their Second Swim Meet

Freshman+Victoria+Montalvo+competing+in+the+100+butterfly+event+

Allegra Sharp

Freshman Victoria Montalvo competing in the 100 butterfly event

Allegra Sharp, Staff Writer

On Thursday Sept. 5, the Cavalier Swimming team took on Miami Beach High School for their second meet of the fall season. Having practiced relentlessly every day leading up to the day of the meet, their first meet of the pre-season was a victory against rival Miami High, and it would set the tone for the season once it began.

Things were different this time around, however. Although the Cavaliers gave it their all, they unfortunately lost to Miami Beach High. The boys’ team scored 61 points in the loss while Miami Beach scored 107. The girls’ swim team was also defeated, scoring 72 points to their opponent’s 98.

Most of the veteran swimmers swam longer distance events like the 500 freestyle and the 200 freestyle. Lady Cavalier Captain Nora Gonzalez swam her favorite 500 freestyle alongside Isabela Telles. The boys’ team captain Jonnathan Gonzalez swam not only in the 500 freestyle, but also the 100 breaststroke.

My favorite part of the meet was being able to have fun with my friends outside of school and improve my swim times from past meets

— freshman Victoria Montalvo

The general swim meet is comprised of three different types of relays and seven different individual events. These events are the 100 freestyle, 100 butterfly, 100 backstroke, 100 breaststroke, 200 individual medley, 200 freestyle and the 500 freestyle.

Having so many events in the high school swimming league gives experienced swimmers a better opportunity to excel in their best events. Less experienced swimmers on the team also find it easier to figure out which event they are more comfortable competing in.

For freshman Victoria Montalvo, it his her first year on the Cavalier Swimming team, but it is not her first time in the water. She has been swimming competitively for a little over a year now.

At the second meet of the season, Montalvo swam the 100 breaststroke and the 100 butterfly. Both of these events are notorious for being the most difficult to swim, given that they are a total of four laps each. However, the breast and butterfly strokes are some of her best. Her goal for the next meet is to try and beat her most recent times—which were 1 minute and 30 seconds on the 100 breaststroke and 1 minute and 28 seconds on the 100 butterfly.

“Moving forward, I am working on improving for the district and hopefully state championship competitions. It will show how much we have progressed as a team and as individuals,” freshman Victoria Montalvo said.

Freshman Elise Ballart found her passion for swimming this year and has enjoyed all of the meets that she has attended thus far. At the first meet of the season, she competed in several events.She swam the 100 freestyle with ease. In the 200 medley relay, she swam breaststroke for the team and also raced in the 200 and 400 freestyle relays.

“I look forward to getting even better and stronger as a swimmer to hopefully win some meets. I am also excited to make long-lasting and closer friendships on the team,” freshman Elise Ballart said.

The Cavalier Swimming Team swam their hearts out and will continue to do so as the season progresses. The Cavaliers have a lot more to show this year and are working together as a team to try and get a higher average of points with every successive meet. Throughout the season, you can rest assured that this team is relentless and they will not stop until they fulfill their team captains’ visions of making it to the state championship competitions.