“Mob Psycho” is a Perfect 100

“Mob Psycho” is a Perfect 100

"Mob Psycho 100" an anime I recommend with no shame.

Mob Psycho 100

Mob Psycho 100

Mob Psycho 100

Series Title: “Mob Psycho 100”

Number of Seasons: 2

Starring: Setsuo Ito (Shigeo Kageyama), Takahiro Sakurai (Arataka Reigen), Akio Ôtsuka (Dimple)

Our Rating: A++

As far as discrimination in television goes, nothing faces more inherent bias from the public than anime. People who watch it are often mocked and the shows themselves are called silly, stupid and childish. Despite all of those claims being valid as most anime shows cater to a very specific audience, “Mob Psycho 100” is a notable exception. With only two seasons so far, the second season currently airing, “Mob Psycho 100” already goes miles in quality. “Mob Psycho 100” isn’t far from the most perfectly optimized show, anime or not, that exists to date. It satisfies those childish urges of wanting to see cool flashy stuff for the sake of seeing cool flashy stuff by loading every other episode with thrilling fight scenes and absurd situations, all while managing to build a deeply compelling narrative filled with fantastic characters.

“Normally I would never watch anime, but ‘Mob’ is pretty great, I love the overall visual appeal of the show and the colors and animation are really well done,” senior Isabella D’Ottone said.

The show is based on the premise that ghosts are real and some people were born with some kind of psychic power, varying from psychic muscle enhancement to telekinetic air lasers. Enter middle schooler Shigeo Kageyama, affectionately nicknamed Mob, the protagonist of this show and so far the most powerful psychic in the show. At a young age, Mob befriends Reigen Arataka, a psychic who possesses powers that more closely resemble powers held by the “psychics” we know in real life. Despite Reigen being a con artist who specializes in screaming, throwing salt and massages, he takes Mob under his wing and throughout the years the two become the other’s, only friend. Reigen shares his infinite “wisdom” with Mob and also gives Shigeo a job performing exorcisms against actual evil spirits; Mob follows Reigen’s advice as if it were gospel.

The show then focuses on how Mob interacts with normal people, other psychics and spirits while struggling through middle school. Throughout this process, Mob decides he wants to change, which is how the creators of the show subtlety integrate character development, and his whole life gets flipped upside down. From the beginning of the new season to where the show is now, each episode surpasses the next in quality. Mastering the art of pacing, the biggest problem facing many shows, every episode of “Mob Psycho” contains a full story arc and never feels either too rushed or too long.

“I love [‘Mob Psycho 100’]. It definitely is different from the shows I usually watch, but I love the characters and the art style,” junior Isabel Jaen said.

Anime as a whole is certainly not the most recommendable genre and while many may have a strong aversion towards it, “Mob Psycho 100” is a definite exception. From the aesthetically appealing and varying art styles to the stupendous writing and subtle comedy, “Mob Psycho 100” is a heavy contender for anime of the year.

About the Writers
Natalia Rodriguez, Reviews Editor

Natalia Rodriguez is currently a senior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program here at Gables, and is excited to continue editing for CavsConnect...

Alexander Yagoda, Opinion Editor

Alexander Yagoda is a junior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program at Coral Gables Senior High School and is excited to start his third year...