Inauguration of President Biden

Gabriela McGrath Moreira

As history is made and democracy prevails the 46th president of the United States is elected.

Gabriela McGrath Moreira, Staff Writer

Joseph R. Biden officially became the President of the United States on Wednesday during an unusual but momentous inauguration. The day started off with the most important event of all, Biden’s swearing-in, which only the most dignified guests attended due to security concerns caused by the insurrection at the capitol only two weeks earlier. Well known politicians and influential figures such as the Obamas, Clintons, a handful of senators and performers attended.

Just before noon, President Biden and Kamala Harris were sworn into office. Once they were confirmed, President Biden held an inaugural address in which he spoke about how the administration has a great deal of work to do but serves as proof that the nation’s democracy is strong and America will persevere.

“Being able to witness the first Black and Asian woman being sworn into office as vice president was something I never thought I would be able to do. Our nation is making progress and it is exhilarating,” freshman Leanna Anderson said.

Meanwhile, the former President Donald Trump was in Florida at his Mar-A-Lago club resort and did not attend. This is the first time since Andrew Johnson’s swearing-in in 1865 that the former President did not attend the President-elect’s inauguration. Former Vice President Pence, on the other hand, did attend the inauguration.

After President Biden and Vice President Kamala were sworn in, there were musical performances by Lady Gaga, Jennifer Lopez and Garth Brooks. The singers performed beautifully, and a new figure also came to light that day. Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old poet and performer, wrote and presented a representative story about the state of the U.S. today. Her poem aimed to inspire those who were present and listening around the world with lines such as “When day comes, we ask ourselves: where can we find light in this never-ending shade?”

I felt a large sense of relief when Joe Biden was sworn into office because I believe that we no longer live under a president that glorifies supremacist ideals. The country still has a long way to go but I believe that we can be content to a certain degree that existing civil rights protections will not be under attack by this office and be proud of the diversity that Biden is creating within the White House administration.

— junior Briell Robinson said

Fashion also prevailed in this event with intricate outfits of differing colors and the many monochrome looks that stood out. Michelle Obama sported a burgundy pantsuit while Kamala, Hillary and Laura Bush were all dressed up in various hues of purple. Biden’s granddaughters had elegant monochrome outfits showing off shades from white to bubblegum pink.

Overall, combined with the outfits, the performers and the swearing-in of a new president and vice president, Wednesday, Jan. 20 was quite a historic day. This country has gone through a lot the past few months with violence, insurrections and division of the nation due to opposing beliefs. This event showed how there can be a peaceful transition of power from one world leader to his successor. As President Biden said, “democracy has prevailed”.