Cheering Up Gables as a Powerful Squad

Going far beyond cheerleading, this group’s leadership shapes the characters and values of each squad member
Cheer captains lead their team to cheer on the football team, with Gables signs.
CavsTV
Posing for a final picture after a sensational performance, the Gablettes and cheerleaders join in front of cheering crowd.

Three exceptional Cavaliers have taken on leadership responsibilities with poise and passion. Meet Charlee Trowbridge, Carolina Martinez and Julianna Guzman – the five outstanding cheerleaders – who each bring a special combination of personality, talent and dedication to the forefront of Coral Gables Senior High’s cheerleading squad. These upperclassmen embody the leadership it takes to run the team while making a lasting impression on their school community.

Posing for a final picture after a sensational performance, the Gablettes and cheerleaders join in front of cheering crowd. (Gabriela Blanco)
Posing at the pink pep rally last year, Captain Charlee Trowbridge smiles in happiness as she hears the cheers and applauses from the crowd.
Captain Charlee Trowbridge

Trowbridge’s story in the world of cheerleading began during her freshman year at Gables. Growing up as a bound professional ballet dancer, she was never destined for cheer; when she arrived at Gables, it all changed. Drawn to the excitement of cheerleading, she quickly emerged as a standout flyer on the squad, catching the attention of her coaches and teammates. 

“One of my main goals is for the team to prosper, grow and live up to their best potential whether it’s through conditioning or training harder. One piece of advice that I would give to the younger cheerleaders is to listen to your captains, respect everyone on the team and be open to new ideas,” senior Trowbridge said.

Prior to cheerleading, Trowbridge spent her time on pointe as a ballet dancer. Throughout those 13 years of training, she picked up many skills such as being a team player and flexibility, so she is no stranger when it comes to pulling off difficult stunts.

“I did dance for years, ballet specifically and I was on pointe, on the pre-professional track, so I was really committed to it. When high school came around, I was in cheer while still doing ballet and kind of lost the spark for ballet. I had to choose between the two because doing both was a lot. At that point, I decided to fully commit to cheer and honestly, it really makes me happy so I am glad I stuck with it,” senior Charlee Trowbridge said. 

As a part of the lasting Gables’ cheer legacy, Trowbridge continues her family’s path by joining the team just like her mother did back in 1987.

“My freshman year I saw the cheer team advertisement and I really wanted to join because when my mom was also a cheerleader here in Gables, I just wanted to follow in her footsteps. She really encouraged me to do it, and I am glad I did,” senior Trowbridge said. 

As captain this year, she leads by example. Exemplifying the ability to bring the squad together, Trowbridge’s commitment fosters a bond that transcends onto the cheer floor.

“I was very excited and honestly proud of myself for becoming captain, I worked hard during my time as a spirit officer my junior year,” senior Trowbridge said.

Known for her passion while flying, Trowbridge embodies the true spirit of cheerleading. With a background in ballet and a passion for uplifting her teammates, she brings her A-game to every practice and performance.

“As a junior spirit officer, I truly look up to our captain Charlee. Although the season just started, I’ve learned so much from simply being by her side. I feel like she pushes the team in the best way possible. She always has a welcoming smile on her face, that inspires me to keep trying and improving myself not only as a cheerleader but as a person,” junior Melissa Hernandez said.

Posing at the pink pep rally last year, Captain Charlee Trowbridge smiles in happiness as she hears the cheers and applauses from the crowd. (CavsTV)
Helping out in last year’s cheerleading tryouts, co-captain Guzman exemplifies the definition of being a big sister, by helping her fellow candidates.
Co-Captain Julianna Guzman

As one of the cheer co-captains, Guzman brings a sense of balance and reason to the team. Having three years of middle-school cheerleading experience at Shenandoah Middle, she has a step up in the learning process. 

Getting ready for pep rallies is quite an undertaking for the cheer captains. Selecting the music that pumps up the crowd and choreographing the stunts and dancing, Guzman and her fellow captains get ready for the pep rallies and make sure every girl looks presentable.

“My favorite memory is when we did the pep rally in collaboration with the Gablettes last year. We made Gables history and shocked so many people. Our different styles put together were perfect and had the crowd wild. It took a lot of practice but it was worth it in the end,” senior Guzman said.

Her ability to solve issues within the team has proven vital in ensuring smooth practices and performances. Always coming up with a solution, Guzman’s presence is essential to the team when making sure that everyone is on the beat during cheers and can always adapt to any misstep throughout their routines.

“I’ve worked with Juli for a year and she’s made my first season cheering on the squad a lot of fun. Having her as a back spot in my stunt group has truly been amazing and has led me to learn so much from her. Her dedication to the stunt helps her stay focused and she never lets a flyer fall,” sophomore Oceana Nucete said.

Offering a shoulder to lean on when any of her teammates face challenges, whether cheer-related or not, Guzman’s dedication to team unity ensures that every cheerleader feels valued and supported.

Helping out in last year’s cheerleading tryouts, co-captain Guzman exemplifies the definition of being a big sister, by helping her fellow candidates. (CavsTV)
Co-Captain Carolina Martinez cheers on the football team as they defeated the South Miami Cobras.
Co-Captain Carolina Martinez

Completing the trio is Martinez, the other cheer co-captain and the team’s creative powerhouse. Known for her innovative choreography and fresh ideas, she keeps the team’s routines exciting and dynamic. Her sharp movements add a unique touch to every performance, earning the squad’s recognition. 

“I wanted to be on the cheer team ever since I was a little girl seeing my mom as the cheer sponsor of the school where she worked and watching all of their practices. It made me want to join my future high school cheer team and have a leadership position,” senior Martinez said. 

For Martinez, leadership is more than just a title, it is about inspiring her teammates. Admiring her mom who was a cheer sponsor at Coral Park High School, Martinez was surrounded with what it took to make a second family bond.

Martinez’s passion for cheerleading shines through in her ability to infuse energy and creativity into every routine. She encourages her teammates to express themselves and think outside the box, resulting in performances that captivate both the audience and her own teammates alike.

“Caro is always pushing us to do our best and I think that is one of the many reasons why we are starting to do more intense stunts. This year, the cheer team’s bond is like no other and I think the captains are a really big part of making this team feel like a family. Caro can be friendly and joke around with us, but when it’s time to be serious, she is very committed to her position and leads us with a smile on her face,” junior Cinthia Cruz said. 

Co-Captain Carolina Martinez cheers on the football team as they defeated the South Miami Cobras. (Gaby Blanco)
Pouring her heart into the game, co-captain Guzman cheers on the varsity Cavaliers against the Coral Reef Barracudas last year.

Ensuring the qualities of a strong leadership is met to inspire and unite the team; in the case for the cheerleading team, that leadership comes in the form of captain Trowbridge, co-captains Guzman and Martinez. Together, this dynamic group has not only elevated the team’s spirit but also fostered a sense of unity and excellence that sets the Cavalier cheerleaders apart and brighter than ever. 

Pouring her heart into the game, co-captain Guzman cheers on the varsity Cavaliers against the Coral Reef Barracudas last year. (CavsTV)