JROTC Drill and Color Gaurd Team Qualify for States

Coral Gables’ very own JROTC Drill and Color Guard team spend the majority of their year committed to improving for upcoming competitions. Aside from their class, period cadets stay afterschool Monday through Thursday for as long as two hours to practice on different routines. Their last three competitions have showcased all the time, effort, and dedication they put into their work.

On February 2nd they competed against 17 other schools at North Miami Senior High School. Out of the 18 categories they placed in 13 of them.

Although competitions varied from individual to group performances, they each required a lot of practice. However, for junior Joseph Lopez this was not possible due to having to practice for more than one performance, “I wasn’t able to spend a lot of time practicing for my individual competition because I was more focused on practicing with my team for a different one. When the evaluations returned and I saw I had placed third I was shocked. I didn’t expect to do so well especially since I was up against North Miami Beach and Coral Park, they’re like robots.”

Each performance is judged based on originality, difficulty, tricks, sharpness, and precision.

“Coming up with a routine is the hard part because not everyone in the group can do the same thing, so I have to find tricks that look good and everyone can do. I create routines by looking at what worked and what didn’t work in past routines and by looking at other schools to practice. We then learned the moves and practiced on being fluent and sharp,” junior Edward Malone said.

Their next competition, the 5th Annual Northwestern Senior High School Drill meet, took place on February 19th. They came in third place when they once again placed in nearly all categories (14 out of 18).

“I was definitely nervous. This is my first year being in charge and it brings a lot of responsibilities. Even though we placed, we can never be too comfortable. Sergeant Roman and Sanchez always say that there is room for improvement, I know we can do better as long as we are all motivated to win,” sophomore Marilyn Marin (commander of female exhibition) said.

The team carried Marin’s confidence into their most recent competition, the Miami Jackson Senior High School Drill meet, on March 2nd.

Out of the 22 Cavalier Drill and Color Guard Teams, 17 qualified for the Florida State Drill meet that will take place on April 6. Overall these teams received 2nd place.

“I am very proud of my team. I knew all along that they could achieve our goal of qualifying for States (state level competition) with their never ending teamwork and perseverance. I always knew that they were capable of doing great things. God just surprised me even more and showed me that ‘perfect practice makes perfect’.” senior Jaime Said (Battalion Commander) said.

February 2nd results:

Regulation Unarmed Squad:
4th Place C/CPT Paula Perez
5th Place C/SSG Austin Schuyler

Regulation Unarmed Platoon:
2nd Place C/SSG David Beltran
3rd Place C/SSG Chantelle Viloria

Regulation Armed Platoon:
2nd Place C/SFC Karen Artiles

Exhibition Armed Squad:
2nd Place C/SSG Marilyn Marin
3rd Place C/1SG Edward Malone

Exhibition Armed Platoon:
2nd Place C/1SG Julian Castillo
2nd Place C/SSG Marilyn Marin

Exhibition Armed Individual:
1st Place C/SSG Marilyn Marin
3rd Place C/SSG Alexis Cutler
3rd Place C/CSM Joseph Lopez
4th Place C/1SG Edward Malone

Exhibition Armed Dual:
3rd Place C/CSM Joseph Lopez + C/1SG Julian Castillo
5th Place C/1SG Edward Malone + C/SFC Antonio Ortiz

February 19th results:

Color Guard:
5th Place C/LTC Jaime Said
3rd Place C/1LT Desiree Estrella

Regulation Unarmed Squad:
4th Place C/MAJ Paula Perez

Regulation Armed Squad:
5th Place C/SFC Anthony Amador
2nd Place C/SFC Karen Artiles

Regulation Unarmed Platoon:
2th Place C/SSG David Beltran
5th Place C/SSG Alexis Cutler

Regulation Armed Platoon:
3rd Place C/SSG Chantelle Viloria

Exhibition Armed Squad:
3rd Place C/1SG Edward Malone
2nd Place C/SSG Marilyn Marin

Exhibition Armed Platoon:
3rd Place C/1SG Julian Castillo
2th Place C/SSG Marilyn Marin

Exhibition Armed Individual:
4th Place C/1SG Edward Malone
5th Place C/CSM Joseph Lopez
2nd Place C/SSG Marilyn Marin
1st Place C/SSG Alexis Cutler

Exhibition Armed Dual:
4th Place C/SSG Marilyn Marin + C/SSG Alexis Cutler

March 2nd results:

Male Color Guard:
C/LTC Jaime Said 1st Place

Female Color Guard:
C/2LT Desiree Estrella 3rd Place

Male Regulation Unarmed Platoon:
C/SSG David Beltran 4th Place

Female Regulation Unarmed Platoon:
C/SSG Alexis Cutler

Regulation Armed Platoon:
C/1SG Christian Cabriada 2nd Place

Female Regulation Armed Platoon:
C/SGT Chantelle Viloria 5th Place

Exhibition Armed Squad:
C/1SG Edward Malone 3rd Place

Female Exhibition Armed Squad:
C/SSG Marilyn Marin 1st Place

Exhibition Armed Platoon:
C/1SG Julian Castillo 2nd Place

Female Exhibition Armed Platoon:
C/SSG Marilyn Marin 2nd Place

Exhibition Armed Individual:
C/1SG Edward Malone 3rd Place
C/CSM Joseph Lopez 4th Place

Female Exhibition Armed Individual:
C/SSG Marilyn Marin 5th Place

Male Exhibition Armed Dual:
C/CSM Joseph Lopez 2nd Place
C/2LT Carlos Pasos 4th Place

Female Exhibition Armed Dual:
C/SSG Marilyn Marin 1st Place
C/SGT Chantelle Viloria 4th Place

“Team work is the key to success. I am very proud with our accomplishments, they continue to strive, to improve, and to proudly represent Coral Gables Senior High,” Sergeant Roman said.