in 2019, the graduating class of Cavalier seniors celebrated their graduation ceremony at the Watsco Center in the University of Miami, but the Class of 2020 may not be able to celebrate in the same way due to the events that have developed surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic. (Andres Velasco)
in 2019, the graduating class of Cavalier seniors celebrated their graduation ceremony at the Watsco Center in the University of Miami, but the Class of 2020 may not be able to celebrate in the same way due to the events that have developed surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic.

Andres Velasco

Dear Seniors

Apr 17, 2020

Dear Seniors,

The world we are living in today is unfathomable. To think that five weeks ago we were all in school feels like something out of a dream and, unfortunately, it is one that has taken an unexpected turn for the worse. Every day now, it seems like our daily lives grow more and more strange and uncertain as the world continues to battle a demon it has no weapon against. Families around the world, many of which may be close to home for us, are suffering from loss, unemployment and fear as we all make a desperate call not only for our own safety as a community and as a people, but for a return to normalcy.

As students, we have been most directly affected by the restrictions in place prohibiting us from our second home: Coral Gables Senior High. In the days preceding the cancellation of schools, a flurry of announcements clouded our minds as we inevitably knew that the best this year had to offer would likely be abruptly taken from us. Field trips, award ceremonies, conventions and competitions were all devastatingly down the drain and, for you seniors, the fear that you would not be able to go to your prom or have a traditional graduation ceremony is something you rightfully could not come to terms with. Missing out on the perfect dress, not being able to ask the perfect person to be your prom date or feeling as though you would never get to see your friends and family on the day your 12 years of education would forever be honored with a diploma are things no high school graduate should ever be stripped of. The feelings you must all be enduring right now are far too relatable to be unsympathetic towards.

However, in a time where little light permeates the darkness, the maturity, diligence, and perseverance you guys have displayed have been remarkable. You have become political activists in your local communities, advocating for increased awareness about the tragic era we are mustering ourselves through and you have encouraged others to follow suit. You have shown pride in your school by continuing to participate in spirit events and activities, or leading your clubs to ensure that the next wave of members and officers were just as adequately prepared as you were. Most importantly, though, what has truly stamped your footprint in the Coral Gables Senior High community during these trying times has been the compassion and gratitude you have shared for your classmates, for your teachers. More so than ever, the Class of 2020 is in true unity, and everyone, regardless of age, can look to that as a source of inspiration.

Seniors, the example you have collectively set has brought strength to us all and Coral Gables Senior High is incredibly proud of what you have accomplished. Our hearts lie with every single one of you.

Best Wishes,

The CavsConnect Team

View Comments(1)

Photo of Ketty Dones
Ketty Dones, Staff Writer

Ketty Dones, is a senior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program at Coral Gables Senior High. Ketty has a background in the TV production program...

Photo of Andres Velasco
Andres Velasco, Multi-Media Editor

Andres Velasco is a senior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program at Gables. During his final year in CavsConnect,  he hopes to not only improve...

• D

diedra connorMay 2, 2020 at 11:02 pm

this made get super teary eyed. its nice to know that are second home cares so much about us. i will never forget all the stuff that i learned here at gables, and all the
    friends that i made at best buddies and all the friends that i have outside of the club.I’m proud to the sixth generation that’s graduating gables i am so proud that i am following in my families footsteps of being a graduate of this school gables holds a proud tradition i’m having the most successful students so i plan to keep that tradition and to remember once a cavalier always a cavalier go cavs ?❤

Reply
1