Seniors dressed in all red on their last day of High School spirit week: Color Wars (CAVSTV)
Seniors dressed in all red on their last day of High School spirit week: Color Wars

CAVSTV

Cavaliers Bring On the Spirit: 2022 Spirit Week

Oct 22, 2022

As students prepared for Coral Gables Senior High School’s annual homecoming dance, they showed off their excitement by dressing up every day of Spirit Week leading up to the big event. Given a few weeks’ notice for each theme, students and staff showed up in costume starting Mon, Oct. 17, and did not come to play.

To start the week, students came dressed following the “Nerds vs. Jocks” theme. Walking around campus, the stereotypical jocks wore snapback hats with sports jerseys and letterman jackets. Victims of these “high school bullies” were the nerds, wearing taped-up glasses and suspenders.

On Tuesday, students and teachers came dressed as a character or meme of their choice. Although the school saw many classic costumes such as well-known superheroes and the infamous Adam Sandler, there were other outfits that caught the eyes of many onlookers: the Scooby-Doo gang, Disney characters, clowns and even bananas.

“I loved character day, everyone came in really creative costumes and I was so excited to wear mine to school on Tuesday,” junior Jayden Solomon said.

Day three was “Dynamic Duos/Twin” day. Partners at Gables put on coordinating outfits while teachers matched with their significant others. Aside from the look-alike part of twin day, there was also the “Dynamic Duo” theme that students took part in. Coming dressed as the best teams in history, students dressed up as pairs from TV shows and movies, such as Auguste Gusteau and Remy from the movie “Ratatouille”.

“This year’s spirit week was by far one of the best that I have seen in my two years at Gables and I had so much fun dressing up for each day with my friends,” sophomore Jason Hurtado said.

On Thursday, Gables students and staff were assigned to dress for the theme “Through the Decades”. Students wore outfits and accessories based on different eras in history. They wore clothes from the 1920s all the way  to the early 2000s; some students even came in fourth-century Greek clothing.

“Through the decades day was my favorite out of all of them because the school looked like a high school back in the day, around the time that my parents were in school,” freshman Franceska Gonzalez said.

Closing off the week with Color Wars, every grade level was assigned a different school color to dress up in. Freshmen were given grey, sophomores were given black, juniors had white and seniors were decked out in red. Students in CavsTV and Highlights shot clips to later put together in short videos while hosting their daily spirit week photo booth.

Finalizing Spirit Week and beginning preparations for Homecoming, Cavaliers showed off their spirit. From dressing up in red from head to toe to sporting groovy 70s patterns, Spirit Week connected the student body to the fun that high school has to offer.

• On Mon, Oct 17 Nerds and Jocks took over Gables to see which side is better.

• Cayetano Burneo, Jasmine Rizo, Laura Ridoux and Andrea Mase taking on the Nerds Vs. Jocks theme.

• Paying homage to the trendy sharks that make appearances at Bad Bunny concerts, a few students swam through the halls in these inflatable suits.

• Audrey Noval and friends capture everlasting memories during high school spirit week.

• Scooby Doo’s famous Shaggy Rogers and Fred Jones make an appearance at Gables.

• Spirit Week took place during the third week of October.

• Allison D’Allincourt and Naomi Galex show off their throwback day spirit at the photo booth.

• Students dressed in their favorite 70s and 90s apparel.