How to Plan the Perfect Promposal

Apr 6, 2019

Guiliana Garces

The Ultimate Proposal Guide. 4 Steps to “Yes.”

It is that time of the year when seniors are finally participating in activities they have been waiting to be a part of for four years. One of these events, considered a rite of passage, is the Senior Prom. The hallways begin to buzz with rumors of what dresses everyone is going to wear and who is going to ask who to prom. For this reason, we have created a foolproof guide to asking someone to prom.

Step 1: Investigate 

You always want to personalize your promposal idea to your date’s interests. Look for T.V. shows, characters, foods, hobbies, sports etc. that they show a lot of interest in. Talk to their friends and find out what their passions are if you do not already know. They can also give you advice on how big of a gesture they would want the promposal to be. You can even make it funny by relating it to a TV show like “The Office.” Make sure to listen carefully to what they talk about and what they enjoy doing. 

Step 2: Plan 

Once you have a good theme for your promposal, it is time to plan! Get help from friends to make posters, get props and decorate the scene. Depending on what kind of promposal you want to do, the props and decorations are going to vary. For example, if you are going to use Disney as your theme, you and your friends can dress up as different Disney characters including Donald Duck and Elsa and play some Disney music!

I helped my friend’s boyfriend plan out the perfect promposal and our theme was Lilo and Stitch. It was super cute and he even got her a stuffed animal.

— Ashley Garcia

Step 3: Create 

Every promposal entails the person asking the other to get creative and artistic. Whether you choose to create a poster, do a flashmob or have people wear each letter of the word prom, you will need certain materials to carry out your idea. Visit Party City or Target to get supplies! 

For a poster, you need to ensure that you get arts and craft supplies. A good idea is to come up with a slogan or catchphrase unique to the person you want to ask and write it on the poster. If you are doing a flash mob or anything of that sort, you will have to get the group of people together and rehearse some choreography. No matter what you choose to do, make sure it is creative in some way and do not be afraid to ask for help!

Step 4: Prompose! 

Once you have done all the planning possible, it is time to set up the date and time when you are going to carry out your promposal. If it involves other people, make sure to talk to them as well to ensure everyone is on the same page and knows when to be ready. If it involves a big gesture like playing music on a speaker, using a part of the school or interrupting a class, make sure you have permission beforehand. Once you have set this up and have also come up with a plan to get your potential date to be where you want them to at the correct time, it is finally time to go through with the promposal!

Promposals are very cute and they really build up the hype around prom season and all the excitement. It’s also fun to see how creative people get,” senior Camila Torres said.

We hope everyone comes up with the most creative ideas for their promposal and has the best time at prom!