Campus Improvements Cause Changes in Back-To-School Tradition

Nataly Leiva, Staff Writer

As the seniors took their first steps into their last year at Coral Gables Senior High School on Aug. 19, they expected to be welcomed by the traditional “last first day” celebration. Typically, seniors take the first day of school as an opportunity to strut their senior crowns, take pictures, and commemorate their last year. This annual event typically takes place in front of the Ralph Moore building, which is located by the pavilion. Due to construction, the class of 2020’s time to shine was overshadowed.

When I was a freshman I was so excited to be a senior one day and be able to enjoy my first day and take pictures at the senior booth. However, due to the construction and other inconveniences, our senior class didn’t receive the welcoming we expected, which I find pretty disappointing.

— Rosa Lagares

It is a tradition for seniors to take pictures in the booth, either with friends or staff, on their first day as seniors. Throughout the summer, Cavalier seniors often get together to decorate their crowns and look forward to arriving on the first day of school with a special setup all for them. Unfortunately, the eldest students were not able to experience a special welcome this year, causing disappointment among the class.

“I think it is really unfortunate that there was not a traditional last first day welcoming booth on the first day of school. It is something people really look forward to and it is a really fun way to show off your crowns with your friends. Being unable to have that experience was really disappointing. I know there is a lot of construction around, which makes it harder to set up a proper booth. I understand why it was more complicated, but maybe they could have moved the event to the gym or the auditorium,” senior Julianna Goldfarb said.

After a deflating moment for the seniors, the senior class board plans on counterbalancing the loss by planning frequent senior festivities and better treat days this year.

As for now, they are trying their best to keep up the school spirit with the annual senior crown contest, a competition in which seniors get to compete with one another on whose senior crown is the best decorated. To participate, they capture a picture of themselves wearing their senior crown alongside a teacher of their choice and tag @cavsconnect on Instagram. This way, the senior class board has given seniors the opportunity of showing off their senior crowns.

“Understandably, the seniors were disappointed that there was no senior welcoming on the first day. On behalf of the senior class board, I would like to say that while our options are limited due to hazards imposed by construction, we will do everything we can do to make it up to the class in the form of even better treat days and senior festivities,” senior Daniella Berrospi said.

Although construction may be irritating for students and staff to cope with, in addition to the fact that they limit some school events, the benefits of construction will be apparent in a few years. By the time that the class of 2022 graduates, a new two-story building will replace buildings six and seven. Not to mention, there is also new plumbing systems, window replacements and exterior painting projects that are currently in progress, all of which will contribute to the massive beautification project to the place we call home.