Swiftly Shooting Hoops

Jefrany D'catry, Staff Writer

Sophomore Mia Crabill first began playing basketball in the fifth grade when her soccer career ended. A close friend of hers had talked about the sport of basketball, encouraging Crabill to try it out. On the Lady Cavalier Basketball team, Crabill has cherished the opportunities that she has been given to not only play a sport she truly loves but to become friends with a group of wonderful people that all share a common passion.

When she is not out on the court, Crabill actively participates in extracurricular activities and is a model student. Aside from being a part of the International Baccalaureate program, she is also taking three AP classes and is a member of the Improv Troupe. Outside of school, she is the sophomore Vice President of membership for the board at her temple’s youth group, Bafty. Despite her packed schedule, Crabill always finds a way to shoot some hoops and improve her skill set as an athlete.

Mia Crabill
Crabill and her teammates posing for a picture after a win.

What are your goals for this season?

As a team, I would like for us to win 70% of our games at least, and individually, I would like to score 12-16 points a game.

How does the team train? What are your practices like?

We train for around two and a half hours a day. We have half-hour workouts and two-hour practices.

Do you play any other sports?

Other than basketball, I play flag football.

How do you manage to balance sports with your academics?

Mia Crabill
Sophomore Mia Crabill dribbles the ball as she runs up the court.

I manage my time playing basketball with my academics simply by staying on top of my assignments and studying hard.

Do you have any other extracurricular activities and hobbies?

I do musical theater, Model UN, mock trial, chorus, I volunteer at the zoo, I am on the board at my youth group, and I am part of a Fellowship. I am a Diller Fellow to help us (the Fellows) discover ourselves and how we can better the world. I am on the board of Interfaith Youth Miami, a youth group started by Alexander Sutton, and I am part of the Conservation Teen Scientists program at Zoo Miami, where I get to learn more about the animals.

Would you want to continue playing basketball in college?

I would continue, but only if it would get me a scholarship.

Would you like to give any pieces of advice for anyone willing to join the basketball team?

Please try out next year! We are always looking to build up the program and we need more players in case we get injured. If you make JV, keep playing because you can always learn more and then maybe the following year, you will make varsity!