The Coral Gables Museum Celebrates Their 80th Anniversary

Elliza Beltran

Seniors Andres Velasco and Alain Perez volunteering on Family Day!

Jesse Zambrano, Spotlights Editor

On March 9, the Coral Gables Museum celebrated their 80th Anniversary during their monthly family day. The Museum Project volunteers helped the museum’s coordinators open their doors to families of the community. The site of the museum once belonged to an old firehouse and police station but was transformed to its current use in 2010.

The volunteers are comprised of high school students from all over Miami-Dade County. Their main job is to help with the children who visit by entertaining partaking in arts and crafts and other fun activities. In addition to working with the children the day of the event, the volunteers work diligently to plan fun, youth-centered activities to attract more teens to the museum, both as volunteers and guests.

“This past family day … was my first time volunteering and I found it to be a very enjoyable experience. I can definitely see myself volunteering there again as everyone was so nice, from the kids to the parents,” senior Natalia Soza.

The Coral Gables Museum provides several other opportunities for students, aside from volunteering. Last year was the first ever high school student art show with prizes for the winner and runner ups. First place winners were awarded a cash prize of $700 and the chance to have their art piece displayed in the museum. Second place winners also had their artwork displayed in the museum and received a cash prize of $200. The third place winner was awarded $250. Having their art displayed in a local museum is a great milestone in their career and an important addition to their portfolio.

“The Arts Show is great for the community because it provides young artists with an opportunity to build their resume at a critical starting point in their career. Having their work displayed at an accredited museum is an amazing feat any artist would like to have,” senior Alain Perez said.

The Coral Gables Museum is not only a great place to visit with family and friends to see the beautiful artwork that is on display, but if you are a student looking to be more active in your community, The Museum Project Program is a great way to earn community service hours.

• Junior Miguel Lemus participating in arts and crafts with the children on Family Day!

• Junior Mercedes Debesa arranges the supplies for the arts and crafts activity.

• Senior Natalia Soza working the arts and crafts table.

• Cotton candy is served to the children as a fun snack!

• The children are also given fun toys for them to play with.