Mental Health Comes First

Opening up about mental health helps end the stigma behind it.

Ana Capiro

Emma Garcia, Staff Writer

In today’s society, mental health issues are quite common. Anyone can suffer from any degree of mental health issues, such as depression and anxiety, the most prevalent mental illnesses. With the new school year, there can be a lot of stress and anxiety for many students, but that’s completely alright. It is important to know when you need to take a step back and breathe.

One’s education is fundamental for success in life, but mental health should come first. Coping with emotions can be hard, but there are many ways to better oneself. Here are four ways to take better care of your mental health:

Yoga and Meditation

Yoga and meditation are great ways to relax and focus on your well-being. Yoga makes you focus on what you’re doing at that moment and helps you gain mental clarity. Meditation also requires you to concentrate, specifically on your breathing. You might have difficulty with your breathing at times, but gaining control becomes easier later on. Both these activities help you achieve a better mental state and allow you to relieve built-up emotions and stress.

Talking

Talking to someone you trust is a crucial way to deal with mental health struggles you face. Letting your thoughts out can lift a weight off your shoulders. Even if you do not need any advice, but rather, just someone to hear you out, it is important to speak to someone. Holding in your thoughts and feelings will hurt you in the long run. It’s normal to not feel comfortable talking to someone about what’s going on at first, but when you finally work up to it, it can help clear your head. Whether it’s a friend, relative or teacher, there is always someone out there ready to help you.

“If they don’t want to talk about what’s bothering them, I wouldn’t force them to tell to me. I would make myself available so they know I’m someone they can go to whenever they need me,” junior Jessica Da Silva said.

Writing

Maybe talking to someone really isn’t your thing but writing it all down is. You’re still letting your thoughts and feelings out. The only difference is that you’re the only one that’ll see it. There are many ways of writing in which you can de-stress. Writing a story, a poem or a journal entry about your day are a few examples. Writing allows you to better understand what you’re feeling and why. You can process everything much better and it’s easier to confront your thoughts through writing.

A big step to loving yourself is making sure you feel good mentally.

— senior Jorge Valero

Crying

This one might seem a bit odd, but we all need to cry sometimes. Despite what struggles you are facing, crying can benefit you in a few ways.  There is research that proves that crying helps you feel better emotionally and physically since you are releasing endorphins. Crying can also relieve your pain and help you get a sense of well-being.

It’s important that you take care of yourself and your mental health. No one is ever going to be happy and okay all the time. Everyone has their moments and it’s crucial to know when to take a step back and take time for yourself. Remember, you are not alone.

Below are three anonymous mental health hotlines to call if you need help:

1-800-662-4357 (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration)

1-800-273-8255 (National Suicide Prevention Hotline)

1-310-855-4673 (Teen Hotline)