The Dangers of a High School Relationship

Highschool relationships can end in heartbreak.

Emily Simon

Emily Simon

Pablo Hanono, Staff Writer

When students first enter high school, many have a stereotypical idea of what high school is all about: drama, disloyal friends and cramming for tests. However, the crowning jewel of this stereotypical high school experience is the classic high school relationship. The story of two people meeting in a hallway and exchanging superficial conversations has been such commonplace in popular culture that many students feel a need to be with someone. Despite this, very few people have actually paused to think about the implications and responsibility that comes with a relationship, many of which lead to broken hearts and midnight crying sessions.

“I think high school relationships can be beneficial by providing two people mutual support through these stressful years so long as the people are mature and responsible” junior Aisel Galvez said

The basis for any stable relationship is a strong friendship preceding the relationship. Similar to that of a building, if the base is lacking, the rest will fall to pieces quickly. A friendship demands essentially the same things as a relationship: trust, dependability, mutual respect and communication. If an individual does not know how to be a good friend, the probability of them being a good romantic partner is slim to none. The fact is that at such a young age these skills are very limited for the grand majority of the population, leaving teenagers to go into relationships ill-prepared.

” A lot of us aren’t really mature enough to be with another person yet. Relationships can be great but they can nonetheless bring a great deal of stress” junior Adriana Castro said

So, how does this translate into an actual relationship? One of the most common features of a relationship is the policing of the other’s social media account to catch any potential signs of infidelity. If this was not a more glaringly obvious sign of mistrust, many people are so blinded by lust that they fail to realize how this could put the other on edge and then wonder why things go wrong. As if high school students did not already have enough to worry about, adding on an overprotective partner can hinder your ability to live normally on a day to day basis simply to be with somebody. Another common issue in high school relationships face is a lack of communication. In an era where teenagers communicate through acronyms and emojis, engaging in meaningful, constructive conversation can seem archaic and foreign to most. However, this behavior is rooted in a deep insecurity about one’s feelings and personality, both of which are still being developed during teenage years. Often times, the emotional exposure that people feel in a relationship leads them to be even more inward than they otherwise would be. This can be a source of immense frustration for both partners which can quickly sour any fun.

While high school relationships can be fun and a stable form of companionship, the vast majority end up failing due to the immaturity that comes with being a teenager. The stress and anxiety that comes with a relationship can cripple any on edge student, making them a risky investment.

Pablo Hanono, Staff Writer

Pablo Hanono is a senior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program at Coral Gables Senior High School. This is Pablo’s second year in CavsConnect, and hopes to add his personal touch to the site though his writing. In addition to Cavsconnect, Pablo is a board member of the Model United Nations club and an active member of the IB Honor Society, National Honor Society and the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA). He is passionate about politics and business and hopes to be a lawyer in the future. His involvement off campus reflects this, as he is a member of the Miami-Dade Teen Democrats and was a fellow for the 2016 Hillary for America campaign. During his free time he enjoys going to the gym and sunbathing on Miami Beach with friends. He is looking forward to his senior year and looks to hone his writing skills through Cavsconnect.

Emily Simon, Editor-in-Chief

Emily Simon is a senior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program at Coral Gables Senior High. Serving as both the Features and Student Life editor for the 2017-2018 school year, she is very excited to serve as the Editor-in-Chief this school year. Other than writing for CavsConnect, Simon hopes to once again play soccer on the Gables team as well as continue her work with the Coral Gables Museum Project. She is also excited about serving as President of the International Baccalaureate Honor Society and Vice President of both Future Business Leaders of America and Art Club this year. She also plans to extend her work as the founder of Miami Springs Tutors and continue being an actively involved Cavalier. Emily is very passionate about emojis and Oxford commas, disagreeing with APA style’s distrust of them. 😼💚🌻🐢