Best and Worst Foods for the Post-Holiday Season

After this long break filled with fatty foods, transition into healthier choices.

http://www.vitaerobics.com/home/healthy-eating-the-case-for-taxing-unhealthy-foods/

Albany Muria, Editor

Let’s face it, we all become slugs once that first day of Winter Break hits. We can all relate to staying in bed for 12 hours straight and only waking up to follow our hygiene routine, and of course EAT! and not to forget all the food we eat on Christmas and New Year’s. The following foods are the best and worst to eat after the long break!

Worst:

1. Eggnog: Although a holiday tradition for most people, the loads of sugar and raw egg components make it a not so healthy drink. For those of you who are weight watchers, this savory drink has up to 400 calories; the equivalent of 2 glazed doughnuts. If you’re looking for a better alternative, one can never go wrong with hot chocolate.
  2. Candy, Candy, Candy! You might have gotten a massive amount of candy from your beloved Secret Santa, but even though they taste wonderfully and addicting, eating them in large quantities is dangerous for your teeth. All the candy you consume, has high amounts of sugar and corn syrup, which if you don’t keep proper oral hygiene, can damage your teeth on the long run.
  3. Flan: You know for a fact that you will have left over flan, enough for two more weeks after the break. You may be tempted to eat it everyday, but keep in mind that flan is made of many fattening ingredients, including condensed milk.

“Coming from a hispanic family, flan is essential during the holiday season. I’m completely aware of the fattening and unhealthy ingredients but at the end of the day, the holiday season is only once a year,” sophomore Maria Solorzano said.

Best:

1. Pumpkin Pie: A great source of potassium and fiber, this dessert isn’t only delicious but it will provide you with nutrients.
  2. Yogurt with Fruit: Not only healthy but also tasty. Your best holiday snack would be Greek Yogurt and any fruit of your choice. Grapes, strawberrie, and blueberries make a great combination with any plain yogurt.
  3. Cereal: It’s inexpensive and you probably already have it in your kitchen cabinets! All you’ll need is milk and a cereal of your choice; you can never go wrong with some Honey Nut Cheerios.

“Fattening foods, besides containing loads of fat, also have high amounts of sodium and sugar. After indulging in seasonal holiday foods, I drink lots of water to help cleanse my body. I eat meals high in protein, healthy fats, healthy carbs, such as oatmeal, beans, sweet potato, quinoa, and definitely lots of vegetables! A typical plate for me would be chicken with sweet potato, avocado and mixed vegetables on the side. Its important to fuel the body with foods that are high in nutritional value,” junior Karina Cisneros said.

Once you’ve decided which foods to give a try, don’t be afraid to repeat them as many times as you’d like.