An ABSolute Workout!

Cavan Wilson, Staff Writer

Do you want abs fast? Can’t join an overpriced gym or buy expensive equipment to make it happen? Keep reading to learn about some exercises you can do on your own at little to no cost to strengthen those abs of steel!

• Planks: Planks are a great way to develop a toned stomach fast. In this exercise, you lay on your forearms, from your elbow to your wrist and put the rest of your body into the start push-up position. Make sure to keep your body straight, like a plank, and don’t let your hips drop. To increase the intensity of this exercise, position yourself in the regular push-up position and descend; instead of going back up, hold the down position for as long as possible. For this exercise, you should complete around five to ten sets, each set lasting one to two minutes, depending on your skill level.

“I do [planks] because [they help] my abs and I like the burn. I use [them] to help me for cross country season. The most important thing to remember is to keep your [buttocks] down,” freshman Claudio Benedi said.

• Supermans: This exercise doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be able to fly or gain superhuman strength, but “supermans” are another great exercise to enhance your abdominal muscles. When doing supermans, you should position your body on the ground, stomach down. Then, lift your arms straight in front of you. Next, extend your legs straight behind you. Hold your arms and legs up until the set is through. For this exercise, you should do about five to ten sets, each set lasting for one to two minutes. Make sure you start at a level that is comfortable for you.

“I like that as I get better [at supermans], [it] raise[s] my confidence. I use them to develop my abs. Make sure that your arms and legs are straight, in front of you, and raised as high as possible,” freshman Sofia Viglucci said.

• Reverse Push-Ups: For this next exercise, start in a regular push-up position. After that, push up so that your knees bend enough to allow your calves to touch your thighs. Push yourself back into the beginning position and repeat the process. Try to complete about ten to 25 of these for five to ten sets.
  • Six Inches: One of the best exercises for your abs is “six inches.” In this exercise, lie prostrate on the ground. Ascertain that your back is touching the ground. Pronate your palms, and lift your legs about six inches off the ground and hold the position. You should do about three to seven sets of this exercise. Your sets should last from at least 30 seconds to a minute and a half. Always remember to start at your own level and increase difficulty as you improve.

“I like [six inches] because they are great exercise[s] that don’t require weights and depend only on your core muscle, which I use these to strengthen. Make sure to keep your hands to your side and don’t grab anything. It may be hard at first, but it will get easier over time,” sophomore Mark Braun said.

• Inchworm Slide: During this next exercise, you also start in the push-up position; however, you should also lay a towel underneath your feet. Slowly slide your feet as close to your hands as possible, while simultaneously remembering to keep your heel as close to the ground as possible. When you’ve brought your feet as close to your hands as you can, slowly move your arms so that you’re back in the initial push-up position. Then, repeat this process. Do about ten to 25 of these for five to ten sets.

Strong abs are desired by all; everyone wants to sport a six pack. Most people give into buying expensive gear or purchasing membership at a gym, but in reality, you are the only tool necessary to develop your own abs. What are you waiting for?