Seasonal Snacks: Fall Edition

Lane Morris

Sophomores Amanda Hopkins and Arden Avera share a laugh as they eat a ginger snap cookie.

Lane Morris, Staff Writer

As fall approaches, so do the holidays. There’s no better way to get into the spirit of the season than by making some yummy snacks. Making the following fall recipes can create lasting memories – with just one bite, all the fun times from the past will come rushing back.

“I love inviting friends over to bake; we always have so much fun,” senior Camila Lupi said.

• Ginger Snap Cookies: With a little bit of molasses, ginger and some cloves, these cookies definitely help bring the season straight to your mouth
  1. Mix 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter, 1 cup of packed light brown sugar, 1/4 cup of molasses, 1 large egg, 2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of ginger and cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of ground clove and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar in a large bowl.
  2. Preheat oven to 400° F.
  3. Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
  4. Let sit for 2 minutes.
  • Pumpkin Pie: This yummy treat gives your taste buds a tantalizing twist of flavors.
  1.  Mix 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 2 large eggs, and 1 can (15 oz.) 100% pure pumpkin together in a bowl.
  2. Slowly pour 1 can (12 fl. oz.) sweetened condensed milk into the bowl.
  3. Pour the mixture into one unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell.
  4. Preheat oven to 425 ° F and bake for 15 minutes.
  5. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
  6. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.
  7. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
  8. Top with whipped cream before serving. (optional)

“Whenever I eat this delicious dessert, it reminds me of my family and of my home, Spain,” sophomore Julene Valmaña said.

• Roasted Pumpkin seeds: After carving your pumpkin, don’t throw it all away! You can save the pumpkin seeds and make a scrumptious snack.
  1. Place 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin seeds on a baking tray.
  2. Pour 2 tablespoons of melted butter and 1 pinch of salt on seeds.
  3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees ° F.
  4. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted.
  • Apple Chips: Instead of grabbing a bag of salt and vinegar snacks, make your own sweet and healthy chips.
  1. Thinly slice an apple.
  2. Sprinkle cinnamon, ginger and allspice on the slices.
  3. Preheat oven to 200 degrees ° F.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes.

The new season is fast approaching – be ready for it and fall fall in love with these delicious seasonal snacks!