Gables Leg Day

Cavan Wilson, Staff Writer

Leg workouts are one of the best ways to help your body stay healthy while having fun. They’re a great way to productively use your spare time and keep you in shape for sports seasons and in general. There are plenty of leg exercises you can do at home without any equipment to achieve this level of fitness, such as the ones listed below:

• Squats: One of the easiest leg exercises to do is the squat. To perform a squat, keep your hands straight out in front of you (or have them hold your head), while bending your knees to a 90 degree angle. Make sure to keep your back straight as you bend down, and then straighten your legs again. For an added challenge, hold a weight against your back, on your shoulders or above your head while performing the squat. Add weight steadily to avoid injury. Do about three to ten sets of 10 to 20 squats, depending on your fitness level.
  • Lunges: Another beginner leg exercise is the lunge. To perform a lunge, bring one knee down almost to the floor, at a 90 degree angle, while keeping the other knee elevated from the ground (also at a 90 degree angle) and leaning forward. Straighten your legs and repeat the process while switching legs. You can use weights to increase the difficulty of this exercise as well. Hold the weight above your head or on your back as you perform the lunge. Perform three to ten sets of 10 to 20 lunges per leg, depending on your fitness level.

“[Lunges are] a very good exercise for your hamstrings and keep them loose for running. I use two 20 pound dumbbells when I do my sets to increase the difficulty. I add more weight to challenge myself and see how much better I get,” junior Francis Robinson said.

• Wall Sits: This exercise is exactly what it sounds like. Put your back up straight against the wall, bend your knees and hips at as close to a 90 degree angle as you can get and hold that position. You should be in the position you’re in when sitting in a chair. Hold for as long as you feel comfortable and gradually increase the time held as you improve. Make sure to hold your hands above your head while doing this exercise. If you want to further challenge yourself, hold a weight above your head or place it on your thighs. Do three to five sets of one to five minutes of wall sits, depending on your fitness level.

“I use wall sits to gain muscle in my legs. They are especially helpful to me because I can do wall sits instead of lunges since I have knee problems. Make sure your legs are shoulder width apart and that you feel the burn in your thighs. As you get better, make sure you go lower. Also, make sure to use your legs and not your stomach when doing wall sits,” freshman Natalie Viglucci said.

• Mountain Climbers: Mountain climbers are also a good leg exercise. To do mountain climbers, get onto your hands and feet. Bring one leg towards your chest and then bring it back to a straightened position. Repeat the same step with the other leg. Do this for as long as you feel comfortable and gradually increase the time as you improve. Do three to ten sets of one to three minutes, depending on your fitness level.
  • Step-Ups: For this exercise, you will need an elevated surface, such as a stair or bench. Put one leg on the elevated surface. Lift your other leg up to your chest until it is at a 90 degree angle. Bring both legs back to the ground and repeat, switching which leg does what job. You can hold a weight above your head to maximize this exercise’s output. Do three to ten sets of 10 to 20 repetitions per leg, depending on your fitness level.

Exercising your legs is one of the best things you can do for your body. If you exercise using the correct form and are careful not to overdo it, the task will soon become fun. The next time your leg day comes around, remember you don’t always need fancy equipment to get a great workout.