New Season, New Goals: Gables Soccer

Chase Bagnall-Koger, Staff Writer

The two Cavalier soccer teams have started yet another promising season this week. After weeks of conditioning and a few pre-season games, the teams began their three-month seasons where they will face old rivals, compete against new schools and possibly even advance to the finals as they have in years past. Let’s take a look at the games they have played so far and some of the more interesting games to come.

Girls’ Soccer

Coral Gables vs. Hialeah-Miami Lakes (11/7/17)- The Coral Gables vs. Hialeah-Miami Lakes game was played at the Coral Gables Youth Center, counting as a home game for the Cavaliers. The game started strong with a quick goal by forward Jade Mallea. Seven more goals followed by various Cavaliers, resulting in a score of 8-0 by the end of the third quarter. High school soccer rules mandate that games are to be ended when a team has an 8-goal lead (also known as the ‘mercy rule’), so the game was ended at that time.

Coral Gables vs. Coral Park (11/9/17)- At the first away game of the season, the girls’ soccer team accomplished their second victory. A hat trick, a feat accomplished when the same player scores three goals in one game, by senior Hannah Vale and two more goals by Amanda Rose Cabrera and Ingrid Matteini boosted the final score of the game to 5-1. Though Coral Park was defeated, they had a notable sense of determination and resiliency throughout the game.

Coral Gables vs. Miami Beach (11/14/17)- Miami Beach and Coral Gables High have long been considered evenly-matched teams, so the pressure was on as the game began on Gables’ home turf. Senior Jade Mallea again scored in the first few minutes of the game, giving the Gables team a sense of security and advantage as they continued to battle it out. But it was only until Miami Beach rebounded and tied up the game (1-1) in the third quarter that they were really inspired to make an offensive push, bouncing back for a final score of 4-1. “I’m really glad we could come back and win against Miami Beach,”  freshman Isabella Rodriguez said. “This game, we really worked together as a team, and it payed off in the end.”

Upcoming Games– Games continue to be played about two times a week until the spring. Some important games to be looking out for are Coral Gables vs. Lourdes, our opponents at the regional semi-finals last year. These matches will take place 12/4/17 at Lourdes and 1/12/18 at Gables.

Boys’ Soccer

Coral Gables vs. Miami Beach (11/13/17)- The first game the boys’ soccer team played this season was located on their own field, against Miami Beach High School. The first half of the game a was an even match with no scoring- just both teams battling for possession. However, after halftime, a series of simple mistakes on part of the Cavaliers allowed Miami Beach to take the lead and continue to score. Despite Gables’ best efforts to come back, the game ended with a score of 0-3 and an injury to their starting goalkeeper.

Coral Gables vs. Miami High (11/16/17)- A much anticipated match drew crowds from the opposing school, eager to see how the game would turn out. But it was Gables that scored the first goal of the game, on a low, carefully placed penalty kick from right outside the goal box. Miami High retaliated a few minutes later, tying the score at 1-1, where it stayed the rest of the game.

Upcoming games– The next game the boys’ soccer team will play is a home game against South Miami Senior High at Gables on Monday, Nov 20. Be sure to go and support them! Challenging games occurring later in the season include Gables vs. Southwest (11/24/17) and Gables vs. Columbus (12/04/17).