From BER to MIA

Knibbe+with+his+dog+

Felix Knibbe

Knibbe with his dog

Kelsy Pacheco, Staff Writer

Being the new kid on the block can be tough, but for Felix Knibbe it’s been a smooth ride. Knibbe is a sophomore in the DEH program here at Gables and a transfer student from Germany who came to Miami to get a better understanding of the culture and way of life here. Being a part of this new community, Knibbe plans to make the most of it and get as involved as he can.

Knibbe enjoying the day out on a boat
Felix Knibbe
Knibbe enjoying a day out on a boat

“In Germany, the school isn’t really big. The teachers also come to you and your class stays in the classroom. The lessons aren’t as long either – one lesson usually goes 45 minutes. Also, school starts at 8 a.m. and we have 12 periods instead of eight,” Knibbe said.

Knibbe first visited Miami in 2008 and has always had an interest in American culture. He chose to stay in Miami because he wanted to live in a big city.

Knibbe sailing while in Germany
Felix Knibbe
Knibbe sailing while in Germany

“I wanted to do this since 2010 because I wanted to get to know the American culture and the American way of life,” Knibbe said.

Knibbe also has many hobbies that he enjoyed back in Germany and he plans on continuing them here. He enjoys snowboarding, surfing, swimming and being outdoors with his dog. This year, Knibbe plans on being involved and getting to know the school better. Even though he does not know what clubs or sports he wants to do, as the year progresses he’ll be able to learn about everything the school has to offer.

Knibbe practicing snowboarding
Felix Knibbe
Knibbe practicing snowboarding

Knibbe will be staying in Miami for a year and then returning to Germany. By the end of the year, he hopes to be involved in school and have learned as much as he could about the American culture.