6 Healthy Ways to Sleep Sounder

Its hard to balance school and a good nights sleep, but it must be done.

http://blog.eventbrite.com/11-ways-to-improve-your-sleeping-habits/

It’s hard to balance school and a good night’s sleep, but it must be done.

Sofia Bratt, Staff Writer

With End of Course (EOC), Advanced Placement (AP), and International Baccalaureate (IB) exams around the corner, Cavaliers are staying up late at night to study. Since most students are so caught up in getting good scores on their exams, they forget about getting a goodnight’s sleep. When students finally give their bodies a chance to rest, the gears in their heads are still turning and stressing about all the exams they have to take, leading them to have a bad sleep, and thus not being able to perform well on the exams they were agonizing over in the first place. Here are six simple healthy ways to sleep better at night:

Chamomile Tea: There’s nothing better than having a warm cup of tea before bed. Chamomile tea is the perfect tea to drink to later get your snooze on. This cozy tea contains glycine, a chemical that relaxes nerves and muscles and acts like a mild sedative. To give this tea an extra calming boost, simply add a spoonful of honey. 

Since I’m almost always stressing about school, drinking chamomile tea [helps] me to fall asleep.

— senior Juan Reyes

Postpone Worrying and Brainstorming: Most students have a terrible habit right before going to bed: They begin to worry about all the assignments due for school the next day. Once you go to bed, try to imagine yourself in a peaceful place or countdown from 100; both of these strategies help you fall asleep quicker. Whatever you’re worrying about at night can wait until the morning!

Stay Away from Big Meals: The second you eat, your metabolism fires up, which makes it difficult to fall asleep peacefully. More so, lying down with a large amount of food in your stomach can be quite uncomfortable. A lack of sleep makes your body crave more sweets and carbohydrates. So when possible, do not eat within two to three hours of your bedtime.

Stretching: If you take part in several sports or are simply very active, stretching before going to bed is highly recommended. What most do not realize is that the body is going to be in a state of non-motion for at least 6-8 hours when sleeping! It’s always good to stretch as much as you can before going to bed to keep your muscles and joints limber for the following day.

“Im usually very active after school; I either go to the gym or go running. So now I always make sure to stretch before going to bed, so I won’t wake up feeling sore in the morning,” junior Alejandro Arzola said.

Keep Your Room Cool: Not many would think that the temperature of your bedroom can affect your sleep in a positive or negative way. Most people sleep best in a slightly cool room (around 65° F or 18° C) with adequate ventilation. A bedroom that is too hot or too cold can interfere with quality sleep.

Almonds: Almonds are a perfect late night snack that will help you fall right to sleep. Almonds contain magnesium which promotes both sleep and muscle relaxation. Plus, this tasty snack supplies proteins that can help maintain a stable blood sugar level while sleeping. If you’re not in the mood for a crunchy snack, swallow a tablespoon of almond butter instead.

Throw away the sleep medications and incorporate these healthy strategies into your nightly routine to ensure a restful sleep.