Hardworking Security Guard Yaneth Gonzalez

Sofia Bratt

The hardworking secruity guard Yaneth Gonzalez.

Sofia Bratt, Staff Writer

Coral Gables High is known for having an upbeat environment filled with not only outgoing students, but as well as faculty and staff. Security guard Yaneth Gonzalez is always making sure every Cavalier is safe and treats them like family.

Q: Where are you from? 

A: I’m from Colombia, and I’ve been living here for almost twenty years.

Q: What is the best thing that has happened in your life?

A: My two kids; one is a boy and the other is a girl, and they are both in their twenties. It’s nice to have them living with me here in Miami.

Q: What made you start working as a school security monitor?

A: I’ve been working as a security guard for fourteen years now, and I used to work by the band room but now I work by the front of the school. Before working at Coral Gables High, I worked Killian High school.

Q: What are your plans for the future? 

A: Most probably to stay in Coral Gables. I love the school and I love my job. I wouldn’t change it for anything else in the world.

Q: What do you love the most about your job?

A: I love everything about my job, but one has to love and have passion for anything they do. I enjoy helping students, and even if they need lunch I find some for them. On the other hand, I always make sure to that students are in uniform and wearing their ID’s, since it’s my job. Several students think I’m mean, but I’m not. I just care about every one of them, and I treat them as if they were my own kids.

Q: How come you chose to work at Coral Gables High rather than another school?

A: I chose Gables, since when I used to work at Killian, they could only give me a part time job and I was lucky enough to receive a full time job at Gables. Plus, the people are great and it is overall a great school. Ms. Suarez has also been so nice to me and that’s why I always help her out with selling bagels.