Cuda to Cav: Tristan Huebner

Tristan+Huebner+proudly+representing+his+new+school+in+his+red+and+white+Gables+jersey.+

Gables Boys Basketball team

Tristan Huebner proudly representing his new school in his red and white Gables jersey.

Mariam Ahumada, Staff Writer

Coming from Coral Reef High School to Gables, sophomore basketball player Tristan Huebner has abandoned the Barracudas for the Cavaliers. Huebner made the transfer to Gables at the beginning of the school year, and put his basketball skills to the test. He not only proved himself worthy enough to make it into the basketball team, but also qualified for varsity.

Gables’s widespread student diversity and killer boys basketball team has impressed Huebner. He could not be happier and is super excited about the coaching and teammate experience he has been receiving alongside the other boys basketball players here at Gables.

“It’s been great. There’s a lot more diversity of students here, and I love the basketball team. Not only do we have a great coaching staff, but I’m also surrounded by great players who help me get better and learn each day,” Huebner said.

Huebner’s basketball career started shortly after going to a Heat game with his friend. Toward the end of his 6th grade he decided that he wanted to try it out for himself and see how well he could play. Little did he know that he would end up loving the sport, and with the right motivation and practice he and his teammates would go down in G.W. Carver Middle School history as the best team the middle school had seen in the past 50 years.

“I started at the end of my 6th grade at G.W Carver Middle. My friend had invited me to a heat game and I thought it was pretty cool, so I slowly started practicing and shooting around until I started to love it even more. I wasn’t that good at first, but with enough hard work I improved every day,” Huebner said.

Now that he is a cavalier, Huebner wants to accomplish much more than he did at Carver Middle, but like any good student he also knows his priorities. Huebner knows that what is most important is his education and basketball comes second, but that does not mean he is not working hard on both.

“Education comes first of course, and maintaining a great GPA, but as far as the season goes I hope to get better every day, for our team to continue to work hard and hopefully contend for a district championship,” Huebner said.

Huebner is willing to go wherever his basketball skills will take him, but at the moment he is focusing on the present. He knows that in order to get far he can not worry about what he wants to do later, but on what he can do now to better his game.

“I’m trying to go as far as I can in basketball. It’s something I really love and take seriously,” Huebner said.

At the moment, Huebner is working on the present, and is doing everything in his power to better his basketball skills in hopes of proving himself worthy of his cavalier jersey. Catch him in action on Nov. 25th when the boys basketball team takes on South Miami.