Do’s and Don’ts of School Makeup

Natalia Clement

Makeup essentials every girl should have laying around in her room.

Natalia Clement, Staff Writer

To wear makeup, or not to wear makeup? This is the question every teenage girl asks herself as she hauls herself out of bed before school. Taking time out of the morning routine to apply makeup can be a hassle, but with these do’s and don’ts you’ll learn to love your school makeup routine.

DO’s:

BB – Beat the Breakout: Oh hey acne, how you doing? We teens have enough to stress over; we don’t need to be subconscious about our breakouts. There is an easy solution that benefits your skin and takes less than two minutes. Meet BB cream.No brushes needed, just add the amount you’ll use to the top of your hand, and  use your fingertips to take from it and apply it to your face. Top priority zones are the T-zone, cheeks, chin and nose. Blend throughout face and fix uneven blotches by adding/blending.

Recommended Product: Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream

Go for the natural look: There is no point in going cake-faced to school, and for our practical “on-the-go” girls, these few tricks create the natural look to highlight their beauty.

1. Keeping your skin looking fresh is key, so stay away from gooey foundations and lean towards using concealer to cover under-eye circles and any blemishes (if necessary).

2. Mascara is a necessity. Apply one or two coats on the top and bottom lashes to create doll-like eyes.

3. This next step is optional, but totally worth it, since it makes you look more bright and awake. Apply a sheer white eye shadow to the inner corners of your eyes as well as your brow bones.

4.  Apply your favorite pink lip gloss over chapstick/lip balm and you are ready to go!

Recommended Products: Maybelline SuperStay 24HR Concealer, Covergirl Lashblast Volume Mascara, and EOS Lip Balm

Wing it: If you want some drama in your makeup, winging your upper eyeliner is the way to go. This can be tricky and scary to many, but practice makes perfect!

Tips: Liquid eyeliner, although messy, is the best. There are two ways to apply it. The first way is starting from the middle of the eyelid and winging it outward and then connecting the inner corner with the middle. The second way is to do it all in one slow, gentle drag, from the inner corner outward. Use a q-tip with dabbed makeup remover to fix any mistakes.

Recommended Products: Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner and Revlon ColorStay Liquid Pen

“From what I’ve seen most, girls do a variation of black mascara and eyeliner. When it comes to myself, I like a more natural look, so I tend to stick to brown mascara and a little powder, both of which highlight my features,” sophomore Yara Contijoch said.

DON’Ts:

Layer it like a cake: Foundation plus powder does magic, but when you’re going to school for seven hours in Miami’s heat, it can get ugly. The heat can cause a perfectly matte foundation face to flake. Besides, why go through all the trouble of clogging your pores for school? Save it for the weekends when it’s worth looking your best.

“You can wear makeup, but don’t wear so much because so many girls are naturally beautiful; they don’t need paint to hide their beauty,” junior Tristan Barzaga said.

Color it up: There is nothing wrong with wearing blended-nude eye shadow to school, but if you have the color of the rainbow on your eyes, take it down a notch. Vivid color eye shadows are for big events, not your next history test.

Trade lip gloss for lipstick: Other than the fact that most lipsticks chap your lips throughout the day, the concentrated shade of color is too much for a walk down the hallways. Lip gloss offers a touch of color and shine without overdoing it.

These guidelines can help navigate you through the tricky waters of makeup. Whether you go big, go minimal, or stay away from makeup, the most important thing to remember is to be comfortable with it.