Take Me To A Dark World

Release Date: November 8, 2013

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Director: Alan Taylor

Stars: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleson

Our Rating: A-

Marvel has outdone itself again with Thor: A Dark World as its dramatic cinematography, stunning special effects, mind-numbing acting and heart-tugging plot make this movie a must see for any superhero enthusiast. A remarkable improvement from the first Thor movie that lacked gusto; brilliantly cast and wonderfully written, this movie finally had a plot. If the first Thor was entertaining, then Thor: A Dark Word was inspiring. 

The movie opens in a war from eons ago. Asgard, the home of the Norse gods, is threatened by a new species of intergalactic aliens. The Dark Elves are rising with their leader, Malekith, in a hungry quest to find the Aether, a dark weapon with unattainable power. Malekith plans to use the Aether’s powers to destroy the Nine Realms as they are aligned in an event that happens only every 5,000 years.

Later there is a jump to present-day, and the movie picks up some time after where The Avengers left off. You have to give Marvel props for continuing on with the created universe. The hunky and talented Chris Hemsworth returns as Thor.  He remained infatuated with Jane Foster (Natalie Portman): a smart, strong woman who can’t help but feel the same way towards him. As a top astrophysicist, she goes in search of some scientific anomalies and finds herself on an deserted planet. Soon after, the Aether takes control of her like a parasitic infection but only deadlier and becomes trapped inside of her. Thor goes to her and takes her back to Asgard when he senses something wrong. Unaware, the Aether has awoken the dark elves that had laid dormant. From here the movie changes into a series of  of mind-bending plot twists and epic battles scenes.

Thor’s brother/sworn enemy, Loki (Tom Hiddleson) proved to be the most dynamic character in the film especially since he went against his will to help out Thor. Loki’s true nature shines across the screen like in no other Marvel movie, and transforms from an amusing, comical super villain in The Avengers into a vigorous force to not take lightly. Each facial expression, line, and movement  is played with exquisite purpose and precision compelled by motivation. Hiddleson’s energizing  performance introduced a depth into Loki that leaves the audience craving more.

The movie introduced a depth into each character, even minor roles,which essentially added to the complexity of the movie. Conjoined with an engaging plot and stunning cast, this movie proves to be a force of sexy-god power to be reckoned with. In comparison to other Thor movies, it surpasses all expectations with its spectacular display of imagination and storytelling. The special effects played along with the story line captivates the audience allowing them to feel they can reach in and touch each striking detail. Everything played along wonderfully, and Thor:  A Dark World proved to be a box-office hit this year leaving promising thoughts among the producers to create more films.