Black Friday Shopping Guide

What’s one of the best things about Thanksgiving? If you ask people that don’t like to spend money, also known as pretty much everyone, is an event called Black Friday!

This holiday will always be celebrated the Friday after Thanksgiving, which takes place on the Thursday of the last week of November. This started in the late 19th century, when Thanksgiving parades would end with a person dressed as Santa Claus came around at the end of the parade to signify that the shopping season officially started. It got its name because of all the heavy traffic on that day from the people going crazy to get gifts for Christmas.

Black Friday has extraordinary moments such as finally having a new phone, but also some awful times like having to go through a scattered line bombarded with crying little kids and loud adults. It is an enjoyable holiday overall but people must set their own limitations according to their personality to have an amazing Friday. If you know you’re a calm and respectful person, you’ll have a spectacular shopping spree. Although, if you know you’re act like crazy monkey in a rush to get the new iPad Air, it’s recommended you start practicing on how not to be escorted out of the store the first second you walk in.

“The good news is you can get several great deals and low prices. Bad news is a group of uncivilized people will stampede over you. Make sure you’re not the one stampeding or being stampeded on. There’s 24 hours, I think that should be enough time to get what you need,” freshman Jason Maradiaga said.

The first step is to save up money in order to prepare that wallet of yours; maybe even write a list of things you are planning to purchase. How awful would it be to have a shopping cart full of merchandise and just when everything has been scanned, it turns out you don’t have the amount of money for it? You’ve been waiting in line approximately over an hour for nothing! Always save up a decent range of money for the products you’ve been longing for. If you’re trying to debate on which products you’re going to buy at which store, it’s best if you write it down on a sheet of paper. For example, if there is a sale at Walmart for an iPod 5th generation, write it like the following: “iPod 5th gen (Walmart)” and put bullets on each separate item. To be even more organized, write a list depending on the store. For instance, let’s say you make a list about things you want to find at Barnes & Nobles, it would be the entire list of all the items found only at Barnes & Nobles.

“I don’t go all out for Black Friday, just buy normal items such as clothing. But each year I always hear on the news, stories on how people fight and how some people have been so unfortunate to even get killed. It is utterly ridiculous, and not even worth the time on doing such crimes for a sale,” sophomore Kiabeth Casula said.

The next step is to be patient in line and learn how to have self-control. Keep in mind that thousands of people are shopaholics and they go insane when there is a sale; maybe you are one of those but don’t wish acknowledge the fact. Relax before going out to search for the products you want and always be prepared for the worst-case scenarios. Do not grow impatient and become frustrated because you aren’t able to find the items on your wish list or if the check-out line is long. Furthermore, don’t have a panic attack or get violent when an employee from BrandsMart USA says that the last mini-refrigerator was sold already. Try visiting another store, or entertain yourself while waiting to purchase your items.

“I don’t participate on Black Friday, but I do recommend just staying at home if you’re a minor; let your parents do the work. But if you must go, protect the items you are going to buy and don’t let anyone take it from your shopping cart. Don’t be violent, too. I can’t forget the fact that in 2009, a Toys R Us store was almost destroyed completely,” junior Alec Chacon said.

Overall, enjoy the holiday while it lasts; you only get such amazing prices for a limited amount of time. Remember to enjoy it with your family, and don’t forget to spend all the money you can! Money was made to spend, wasn’t it? So shop ’til you drop and don’t look back!