Madeleines and More: The Latest Destination for Sweets Treats on Miracle Mile

Camryn Bagnall-Koger

Madeleines and More, MIracle Mile’s latest French bakery, opened its doors on Tuesday, Oct.29.

Camryn Bagnall-Koger, Staff Writer

Our Rating: B 

There are many excellent restaurants on Miracle Mile where you can grab a snack or a bite to eat, and one of the most outstanding ones is Madeleines and More, which opened on Tuesday, October 29th. Their specialty of madeleines distinguishes them from the rest of the desert places on the Mile. However, they serve more than just sweets.

“I haven’t heard of the restaurant but I love pastries and french food so i would love to go,” freshman Brendan Groff-Vazquez said.

Aside from being a French pastry shop, they also have a lunch and dinner menu, serving sandwiches, crepes, quiche and other French classics. Below is a brief review of some of the various food options available at Madeleines and More.

Ham and Cheese Crêpe

The crepe was served with ham and cheese inside a thin crispy casing with a fried egg on top, costing $12 in total. The crepe was warm and had plenty of cheese, and it was also served with an arugula salad. The crepe was rather plain, but was stuffed with filling. Overall, while the crepe was not bad, it certainly did not surpass any expectations whatsoever, and was not worth its price.

Ham and Cheese Quiche

The quiche was a fluffy egg filling sprinkled with ham and served on a flaky crust, costing $16. Similarly to the crepe, however, there was not much that set it apart from others and it was overpriced for what it was.

Olive Tapenade Tartine

A tartine is a type of French sandwich, this one having olive tapenade, goat cheese, fresh basil and pecan, served with a side of fries and costing $15. It was salty and cheesy, and the fries were perfectly crispy. Aside from this tartine, the restaurant also serves the more traditional Croque-Monsieur and Croque-Madame styles.

Key Lime Madeleines

The staff offers a free sample of their special: madeleines. The Key Lime Madeleine in particular had lots of flavor. There was lime zest baked in, allowing a balance of tart and sweet, with a lime glaze on top. However, it was very dry.

Nutella Croissant 

The croissant was very flavorful and filled with hazelnut chocolate. The filling was not traditional Nutella, but rather their own take on the spread which was less sweet and had more chocolate and hazelnut flavors. The pastry was very flaky, but was served cold. The croissant costs $4.50.

“I have seen the menu and while it does look good, the prices are very impractical,” says freshman Isabel Donner.

In all, the food was tasty, but there is nothing special to keep you coming back. In addition, the prices were a bit high so it is not a practical spot for high school students. Regardless, the quality of the food was appreciable, and the opening of Madeleines and More adds yet another diverse dining option for food-lovers traversing Coral Gables’s Miracle Mile.

• A display case filled with baked goods

• The ham and cheese crepe

• The olive tapenade tartine served with fresh basil on top

• The flaky Nutella croissant