Popeyes vs. Chick-Fil-A: Which Fried Chicken Chain is Better?

Camryn Bagnall-Koger

The two fried chicken companies are battling to be America’s favorite.

Camryn Bagnall-Koger, Staff Writer

Fried chicken has been a staple in the American diet since the 19th Century and, for over 150 years, people have been in search of the perfect combo meal. Two of the main competitors are Chick-Fil-A, the largest fried chicken restaurant in the nation, and Popeyes, currently in the spotlight due to the release of its first chicken sandwich. Chick-Fil-A was founded in 1946 under the name Dwarf Grill before rebranding and adopting its current name and logo in 1967. Despite coming under fire recently for their opposition to same-sex marriage, the chain remains one of the most popular in the country. Popeyes was founded in 1972, and its roots in New Orleans, Louisiana have influenced the brand greatly. Since its birth, it has spread to 40 states in the United States of America and 30 countries worldwide.

Chick-Fil-A (Rating: A-)

Chick-Fil-A is a classic for a reason: their chicken never disappoints. Upon entering, you are greeted by the familiar red and white logo and friendly cashiers. Their menu is limited, but only because they focus on what they are best at: sandwiches and tenders. They also have a few signature drinks, including iced tea, homemade lemonade and frosted lemonade. The staff is extremely courteous, and the food is always served fresh and warm.

“Chick-Fil-A is superior because it tastes more fresh and natural than Popeyes,” freshman Emma Wolman said.

The Spicy Chicken Sandwich did not quite live up to its name, but it was the perfect blend of seasoning while allowing the consumer to taste the chicken. The iconic waffle fries were crispy on the outside, piping hot and soft on the inside and salted perfectly; it was most definitely worth the hype. The frosted lemonade is one of their most famous menu items and one that you won’t find anywhere else. It was thick and creamy with the consistency of a milkshake and a delicious and refreshing vanilla lemon flavor.

“Chick-Fil-A is overall the better restaurant because of the variety in what they offer their customers on the menu which includes great items such as their milkshakes, fries and breakfast menu, while Popeyes lacks in comparison. Popeyes chicken tastes too dry because they don’t do much with it and, for fast food, it’s oddly expensive,” senior Alex Cobas said.

Overall, Chick-Fil-A has earned its spot as the top-selling fried chicken chain in the country with its scrumptious versions of the classics.

Popeyes (Rating: C)

Popeyes is one of the most famous chicken chains in the world, and their “Louisiana charm” and enthusiasm is contagious as the employees were amiable and welcoming, and the restaurant was brightly decorated. However, the food fell short of expectations.

The fries were stale, and they were not served warm and had an unpleasant aftertaste; they did not even come close to matching those of Chick-Fil-A. The famed chicken sandwich was unavailable, but the chicken tenders were the next most popular meal. Like the fries, the chicken was cold from sitting out and barely tasted like poultry. When the “spicy” variation is ordered, it is immediately evident how it was lacking in flavor. The biscuit is one of their signature items and comes with all of the meals, and it was probably the best out of all the other food. It was perfectly light and fluffy, but overwhelmingly salty. In all, Popeyes did not live up to the hype, and the food was very disappointing.

In conclusion, Chick-Fil-A was clearly superior to Popeyes. Despite the social media craze, the quality of food at Popeyes did not impress. Chick-Fil-A, however, asserted itself as the best fried chicken joint in the country with its renowned waffle fries and their crispy and flavorful chicken sandwich.