• GO CAVS!

Wonder Woman was… Wonderful

Wonder Woman featured Israeli model and actress Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

Google Blog

Google Blog

Natalia Rodriguez, Reviews Editor

Release Date: June 2, 2017

Director: Patty Jenkins

Starring: Gal Gadot (Diana Prince)Chris Pine (Steve Trevor)Robin Wright (Antiope), David Thewlis (Ares)

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Our Rating: A

Even though Gal Gadot had limited screen time in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice for her portrayal of Wonder Woman, fans still claimed she was one of the best parts of the film. On June 2 2017, to the delight of DC Comics fans, Warner Bros. released Wonder Woman, giving the Justice League heroine the movie she deserved. However, Wonder Woman wasn’t just for superhero fans- director Patty Jenkins brought Wonder Woman’s story to life in a way that made it a hit with all audiences.

Wonder Woman tells the story of how Diana (Gal Gadot), Princess of the Amazons, became the superheroine we all know and love. The film begins by showing young Diana growing up in Themiscyra, the sheltered island paradise of the Amazons (a fierce tribe of all-woman warriors). Diana is a princess, but unlike the archetypical princess that always needs to be saved, she is trained in the Amazon and becomes a fierce warrior. However, things change when Captain Steve Trevor (Chris Pine) crash lands on the island and introduces the Amazons to the terror that was World War I. Convinced that Ares (David Thewlis), the ruthless god of war, is behind all of the fighting and horrors of the Great War, Diana makes Steve take her to the center of the fighting so she may confront Ares and defeat him.

Wonder Woman was definitely inspiring for me and it was pretty cool to see a movie center around a female superhero,”

— junior Karina Wu

As expected from a superhero movie, Wonder Woman was a little cheesy- as it goes, the more over the top the better. However, this “cheesy-ness” didn’t make the movie as annoying as one would expect, it actually made for great entertainment. After all, one doesn’t go to watch a superhero movie and expect an accurate depiction of human abilities. The movie did begin a little slowly, but things picked up after Diana and Steve arrived in London, and then took off as they arrived on the battlefield. The action scenes were riveting as Wonder Woman almost singlehandedly liberated a Belgian village from German control. Throughout the movie Gal Gadot truly proves that she is a perfect fit for the role of Wonder Woman, as she captured Wonder Woman’s strength and fearlessness, as well as her grace and beauty. Although, while the spotlight shone mostly on Gadot, Chris Pine also portrayed Steve Trevor perfectly and brought in humor at all the right moments.

“[Wonder Woman] was truly amazing. I loved seeing a strong female lead especially in a superhero movie where women usually play weaker characters,” senior Gabriela Vega said.

Overall, Wonder Woman was a great movie and made for excellent entertainment. Unlike other movies released about DC Superheroes, Wonder Woman wasn’t dark and heavy, and appealed to viewers of all ages. Gadot delivered an excellent performance, and once can only wait with impatience for Wonder Woman’s next movie.