Central Intelligence

Bay Area HQ

Central Intelligence is now on DVD for everyone to enjoy.

Kelsy Pacheco, Staff Writer

Release Date: June 17, 2016

Director:  Rawson Marshall Thurber

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Danielle Nicolet

Our rating: A

From movies like Ride Along 2 to Get Hard, Kevin Hart has never failed when it comes to comedies. With a box office earning of $217 million, Central Intelligence did not disappoint movie goers. Starring Kevin Hart and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, the dynamic duo takes the big screen as the two switch roles. Instead of playing his typical role of ‘big man on campus.’ audiences were surprised to see that Johnson now adopted the role of comedic goofy macho guy, while Hart played the scared accountant.

I expected it to have slapstick humor and to be vulgar, but it wasn’t really, at all. It was like an awkward comedy because it dealt with The Rock being socially awkward but it was very wholesome, just like his character.

— Guneet Moihdeen

The movie centers around Bob Stone and Calvin Joyner. Bullied as a teenager for being overweight, Stone decides he wants to catch up with his old classmate before their high school reunion. Little does Joyner know that Stone is now a super fit CIA agent who wants to drag Joyner into his next mission. The international super spy joins forces with the accountant as they go against the CIA and fight an unknown villain: The Black Badger, who is trying to frame Stone for the murder of his former field partner. As the two try to discover the truth, they go undercover to try to reveal the real murderer.

“Central intelligence proved that comedy and suspense can come together really well. Overall, I’d recommend it to anyone who likes Kevin Hart movies and even if you don’t, I would still give this one a try,” sophomore Karina Wu said.

With a few plot twists, the film keeps the audience at the edge of their seats and holding their stomachs as they laugh at the comedic beings that Hart, Johnson, and Thurber are. Along with  the action, the movie also delivers a great message: be kind to everyone because you never know who’ll grow up to help you in the future.