Oscars 2016 in Review

DiCaprio wins Oscar, stars shine on the red carpet and #OscarsSoWhite.

Mar 2, 2016

www.usmagazine.com

Leonardo DiCaprio left the Academy Awards with his first Oscar for Best Actor for The Revenant .

Our Rating: A-

On Sunday Feb. 28th, hundreds of actors and actresses pulled up to the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, and strutted down the red carpet to show off their shimmering dresses and suits in the 88th Academy Awards Ceremony, the Oscars. This year, there were some plot twists during the show.

Jennifer Lawrence walking down the red carpet at the 2016 Oscars.
www.theguardian.com

In 2015, there was racial controversy during the Oscars because mostly white actors had won all the major awards. This year, recent racial comments made by the host, Chris Rock, managed to keep the atmosphere lighthearted by making fun of the situation; even small clips where shown presenting black actors such as, Whoopi Goldberg and Kevin Hart were included in some of the nominated movies.

“I think pretty much everyone I know didn’t watch it … because they were protesting that they didn’t nominate any black people,” junior Leismary Davis said.

However, this year’s academy awards did break some records. This year,  Leonardo DiCaprio finally won his first Oscar. As the Academy Awards released the nominations for each category, many started talking about DiCaprio’s chance at winning an award. As the winner was announced, the subject of DiCaprio’s win got more tweets in an hour than Ellen’s superstar selfie last year. Even though he has received nominations and awards for several movies such as The Wolf of Wall Street and Titanic, DiCaprio had stated during a press conference that it had always been his dream to win an Oscar.

Comedian and actor Chris Rock hosted the 2016 Academy Awards.
www.etonline.com

“After I saw that Leonardo DiCaprio had finally won the Oscar for best actor, I was so happy. After being nominated for so many other movies, he finally got the Oscar he deserved,” senior Paula Castaños said.

But these weren’t the only highlights of the night. Performances by The Weeknd, Lady Gaga, Sam Smith and David Grohl were highly praised. In addition, the Oscars played a memoriam segment where they honored those in the film industry, including Alan Rickman, who has recently passed away.

Many stars went out after the show to Vanity Fair’s 2016 Oscars after party to celebrate all the nominees and their awards.