CrashCourse: A Study Tool

youtube.com

The CrashCourse logo includes a cartoon version of John and Hank Green.

Olivia Pelaez, Reviews Editor

Our Rating: A+

Whether cramming for an upcoming test or curious to learn about something new, CrashCourse is a great channel to check out on YouTube. Created by brothers John and Hank Green in 2012, their aim is to educate students in different topics they might be studying at school. Their introduction video explains how they hope teachers even incorporate the videos into the curriculum-whether it’s showing the videos in class or assigning them for homework.

youtube.com
This is the first of 47 videos in the U.S. History series.

“I love watching CrashCourse videos when I need to study for a test or if  I didn’t understand what was taught in class,” sophomore Isabella D’Ottone said

The channel has the series narrated by either John Green, an author known for his teen novels such as The Fault in Our Stars, and his brother Hank. Although the production of each video includes dozens of people. In each video, they cover a new topic in 10-15 minutes, often speaking incredibly fast to fit all the information into the time slot. The videos never cease to entertain students as the narrators are constantly making jokes. Each video also includes a “Thought Bubble” where the information is shown with animations, often including jokes that are hard to catch if the viewer is not looking out for them. Towards the end of each video, the narrator also includes an open letter to the subject of the video that is equally funny and thought-provoking.

youtube.com
Hank Green narrates the 46 episode chemistry series.

Although viewers won’t immediately learn a subject by watching these videos, it is a great way to reinforce information that has previously been learned in class. One main drawback of the videos is that John Green talks extremely fast making it difficult to keep up with what he is saying, but the rapid pace keeps viewers alert. If it is too fast to comprehend, viewers can also edit the speed of the video or turn on the captions.

“I think CrashCourse videos are only helpful if you use them to reinforce what you’ve already learned in class,” senior Guneet Moihdeen said

The channel has series on various humanities and science subjects ranging from world history to psychology to chemistry and everything in between. New subjects are constantly being added and videos are uploaded nearly daily. With over 5 million subscribers, it is no doubt that these videos effectively teach and help students review  in an engaging way.