The Flappy Bird Frenzy

Sophomore Natalia Perez is frustrated after she lost, right before she beat her highest score.

Gabriella Alzola

Daniela Quijano, Staff Writer

Game Title: Flappy Bird

Our Rating: 9/10

It’s a fever that is sweeping the nation, or at least Gables. Zombie-like kids walking around in the hallway furiously tapping at their phones and screaming out of frustration. Alright, maybe it’s not that dramatic, but it’s pretty close to it. Flappy Bird is the new growing obsession among  the student body, and it doesn’t seem to stop.

The game consists of guiding a tiny bird through pipes similar to those seen in the Super Mario Brothers games. By tapping on the screen, one can make the tiny bird fly higher, and by removing your finger from the screen the bird will quickly plummet to the ground. The purpose of the game is to pass through as many pipes as possible and to achieve the highest possible score, which is — well, there is no limit.

Some find the game pointless and ridiculous.

“No offense to anybody, but it’s really stupid. All you’re doing is guiding a bird through pipes, like, that doesn’t make any sense to me,” sophomore Marilyn Morcate said.

Most of us innocently download the game thinking it’s just another app to pass the time with, however, it is almost impossible to stop playing once you download it.

“Oh my God! Flappy bird is so addicting; I literally can’t stop. If I could play in my sleep I would,” sophomore Natalia Perez said.

At first, the game seems too simple to be engaging, and the pixelated graphics aren’t that great either. As you become familiar with the game, however, you will become extremely competitive, with not only your friends, but with yourself.

“When you see yourself getting close to your best score you CANNOT freak out or else you wont make it,” sophomore Gabriella Alzola said.

Teachers on the other hand are not so happy about the epidemic that Flappy Bird has become. During class, one can usually hear frustrated murmurs, coupled with the distinctive sound of “Game Over”. Students are now fixated on beating their highest score instead of actually being attentive in class. Needless to say, teachers are rather discontent about the infamous app.

“I don’t know anything about it nor am I willing to try it because I have problems with games like that,” AP European History teacher, Ms Landsea, said.

In short, if you haven’t downloaded Flappy Bird, you should definitely try it out for yourself. Even though Flappy Bird is a nice way to pass the time, it probably isn’t a very good idea to try to beat your high score while your teacher tries to explain a lecture in class.