No More Mundane Mondays!

Mark Snyder

Colorado district 27J, removes mondays from the school week, showing that their government is actually controlled by Jim Davis.

Mark Snyder, Staff Writer

About three days ago, school district 27J in Colorado moved to a four-day school week, canceling school on Mondays. It is estimated that they will save around one million dollars per year for cost reductions in utilities, school buses and substitute teachers. Additionally, they intend to add a counselor to every elementary school in the 27J district and institute a “One-2-Web” program, which will provide computers to every middle and high school student.

While limiting the number of school days in a week may reduce costs for the school district, it will likely complicate matters and increase costs for working parents who rely on the five-day school week for child care. The Colorado 27J district is offering child care for the price of $30 for each student; parents will have the option to put their children in the childcare.

“I believe that having a four-day school week is extremely beneficial to all parties involved. I take many AP and Honors classes, where the curriculum is very rigorous and demands that you spend a lot of time outside of school doing homework and studying for tests. Usually, because of the intensity of some of those classes, students don’t have time to participate in any after-school activities or school clubs,” sophomore Vanessa Grau said.

A study by Professor Dianne L. Lefly, a research assistant at Sheffield University, investigates student performance of a four-day school week in comparison to the five-day school week. In this study, students stayed in school for longer days which amounted to the same time required per Colorado law, which is a total of 180 days. Lefly’s study resulted in higher student performance and an increase in student goals set per week.

Stress is common among students and can lead to decreased performance, low self-esteem and poor attitude. I’m confident that if my district changed from the five-day to a four-day school week, students’ attitude would improve, their stress levels would decrease and they would perform better in their classes. “I think it’s great; students will be in a better mood when they come back, it’s overall a great change,” freshman Melissa Ventura said.

Given all that, most people would advocate for a four-day school week rather than a five-day school week because of the additional study time it would grant students taking a rigorous course load. An additional day off from the week will allow students the time to participate in extracurricular activities and clubs or to develop their individual interests. Finally, the fiscal benefits of a four-day school week would allow districts to budget more for beneficial school programs. In all, a four-day school week encourages a more well-rounded school program that neither exacerbates student expectations nor limits them to one area of study.

With an increase of Advanced Placement courses, International Baccalaureate courses as well as other advanced course options in high schools all around the country, students are being given the opportunity to take more challenging courses; however, with this comes higher standards and increased competition. This can develop into stress and assignment overload. The four-day school week will give students more allotted time, whether for further study or to take a much-needed rest from the stress.