The Last Ringling Bros Elephant Act

The Ringling Bros

http://thevillagessuntimes.com/2016/05/03/ringling-bros-circus-elephants-take-their-final-bow/

The Ringling Bros have come to a decision to end their elephant act this year.

Yeileny Lopez, Staff Writer

The use of exotic animals in carnivals and circus performances is a traditional staple of the industry which disregards the treatment of the animals so long as they make economic profit. The consequences of these shows have drastic changes in the lives of these animals; for some they have to live in dreadful environments and  deal with abusive handlers. The Ringling Bros shows are most known for their extravagant elephants who are so skillful, however, this act has come to an end. The Ringling Bros decided to stop training elephants to execute tricks; many are happy and think that it is a great idea that people are finally beginning to see the moral issues of using animals for entertainment purposes.

While it has not be confirmed, the Ringling Bros have faced many accusations about the way they treat their animals. These accusations are primarily about how they failed to treat the treat the elephants right as well as the other animals who perform. They also mention that the animals suffered from animal cruelty, stress and deprivation; the Brothers said that all of this wasn’t true and that they took good care of every animal they use in their shows. The ending of the elephant act will provide peace for all of the elephants who have been working for years and they will now retire in Central Florida. Many people are happy about this decision because they believe that elephants are animals who are being extremely used for entertainment and they deserve a break. Most of the supporters of this decision are animal rights activists who want to see every animal who is held captive and unwillingly perform be freed into their homes.

The retiring elephants will be settling into the Ringling Bros. Center for Elephant Conservation, a sanctuary where they will be tucked behind cattle ranches and orange groves.
http://www.usatoday.com

While the vast majority of people are happy about the decision the Ringling Bros made, there is a small group that is unhappy. Those who oppose the decision feel that the elephant show is a part of their culture. Their only motive to watch the shows is the elephants because they were the main attraction. The minority believes that the end of elephants in shows will bring business down for the Ringling Brothers since most people would prefer going to the zoo now instead.

“I’m really glad that for the elephants getting their freedom but I will really miss them at the shows especially since the elephant act was the highlight of my childhood,” junior Alfredo Sarabia said.

Ringling Bros may have been best known for their elephants but times have changed and it truly is unfair for the elephants to have to perform in shows. These elephants are taken away from their normal lives and are forced to learn complex tricks that will please the audience. Elephants are not the only species that has to go through this, the Ringling Bros and many other circus shows rip different types of animal families apart.

“I think it’s amazing that animals are getting more rights because the lives they have to live are really unfair especially for show animals like elephants who are also killed for their tusks. Hopefully other animals would be able to have their freedom soon,” freshman Anel Lopez said.

The Ringling Bros last show containing elephants has a huge effect on society and our views about show animals. With more and more big companies like The Bros making huge changes towards how they treat these animals hopefully an increasing number of other companies will be motivated to follow in their footsteps and make animal performances a thing of the past.