Filed under Campus, News, Top Stories

Elsa Glazer Award Ceremony Honors Top Seniors

Seniors celebrate after receiving their awards.

On the evening of Apr. 10, over 200 seniors and their families joined in the auditorium for the Elsa Glazer Award Ceremony. Elsa Glazer was a beloved counselor at Coral Gables Senior High who was known for encouraging students to strive for academic excellence. This award is given in her memory and honors seniors who have maintained a GPA above 3.5 for their entire high school careers.

The event began with music played by Figure It Out, a band made up of five of CGHS’s own talented students. The band was followed by the presentation of the colors by the Gables Color Guard. Afterward, Linda Robertson, a writer for the Miami Herald and an important member of the Coral Gables PTSA, gave a welcoming speech and set the stage for Jennifer Moon, Glazer’s daughter, to share some words with the audience. Moon told the audience about her mother’s caring nature and the love she had for all of her students. “What my mom wanted more than anything else was for you to succeed and be proud of yourselves,” said Moon. Moon was sure that Elsa Glazer would be extremely proud of all of the students who worked hard to receive the award on Tuesday.

“It felt great to be recognized for the effort I put into maintaining my grades for the past four years and learning more about who Elsa Glazer was made it more meaningful,” said senior Valeria Gutierrez.

Following Moon’s empowering words came the evening’s keynote speaker Dave Barry. He is a Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist who is well known around the country and happens to be a Coral Gables resident. Barry mentioned that his daughter is also a senior in high school, so he recognizes the amount of work it takes to maintain an ‘A’ GPA over four years. He made painfully true comments about how expensive college can be, causing the audience to laugh nervously about bills to come. Following this reality check, Barry shared words of wisdom with the audience. Although he made a point to say that the older he gets the more he realizes that he knows nothing at all, Barry shared a list of things he knows to be true:

• The one thing that unites us all is that we all believe we are above average drivers.
  • Nobody is normal.
  • You should not confuse your career with your life.
  • A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter is not a nice person.
  • Nobody cares if you can’t dance well, you should get up and dance anyway.

After the speech, Assistant Principal Diaz called the award recipients to the stage to collect their certificates and pose for a picture. The PTSA provided snacks and drinks for students and their families to enjoy following the event.

Adriana Baumann, Copy Editor
Adriana Baumann, commonly referred to as “Adri”, is a senior in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. Aside from serving as a copy editor on CavsConnect staff, Adri is an active member of many clubs like Gables Earth, National Honor Society (NHS), Science National Honor Society and is Secretary of Model United Nations and the Red Cross...
1 Comment

One Response to “Elsa Glazer Award Ceremony Honors Top Seniors”

1. Brucevsky on April 16th, 2018 12:29 am

Rod Totally agree. I do give the Glazer”s credit for at least trying to win, and I accept your reason for their failurethey”re simply not football smart. I never held ManU against them because that was literally a once in a lifetime opportunity. They did itmade it work and good for their extended family. I also agree with your assessment of Vinik”s stadium work. Like you I go to several games a year. Used to have season tickets but the commitment just grew to be too much. He has great attention to detail or is smart enough to hire people who have that attention. If people only knew the fast moves Stu tried to pull on St. Pete during that stadium debacle. He had retails space designed into the stadium on Beach Drive and guess who was going to get the rent. The stadium footprint was going to remove a quarter of the current Mahaffey parking lot.I could go onbut I honestly feel sorry for baseball fans. Growing up in the 50”s it was ALL baseball. I could still name starting lineup of the Cincinnati Reds teams of the late 50”s. Grew up in grade school collecting their cards. Unfortunately there is none of that in Tampa and so it”s hard to build a baseball tradition from scratch. Oh one other problem..hockey is lightning fast.baseball is at a snail”s pace. Today”s kids can”t handle thatneither can I without the tradition.

• Elsa Glazer Award Ceremony Honors Top Seniors

Campus

Get to Know Your Clubs!

Campus

Academy of Finance: Rising to Success

Campus

Cav Camp 2018

Campus

Congratulating the Class of 2018

Campus

IB Sophomore Boot Camp: IB is Doable

Campus

Caf&DM Banquet: The End of a Successful Year

Campus

Going for the Gold: Awards Ceremony

Campus

Dancing Queens: Gablette Revue Comes to Gables

Campus

CGHS College Signing – A Senior Celebration

Campus

New Building Coming Soon to Gables