Mu Alpha Theta ‘Integrated’ for the 2014-2015 School Year

Mu Alpha Theta Members attempt to crack a problem at a regional competition.

Orestes Mayo

Daniela Quijano, Editor

Mu Alpha Theta (MAΘ) is a nationally recognized math honor society that has been available at Gables in the past few years. However, due to a lack of leadership, it has failed to blossom into its full potential. Despite past obstacles, this year will be different. With a brand new board and enthusiastic members, Gables MAΘ will shine this upcoming school year.

The honor society grants students with a love for math an opportunity to showcase their abilities in competitions and open doors for scholarship opportunities. Additionally, MAΘ offers science and math tutoring after school. Although the club has existed at Gables for several years, senior Margarita “Maggie” Rivers, the 2014-2015 MAΘ president, plans to reform the club.

“This year, Mu Alpha Theta will have more focus on competitions and member activities. In prior years, most of the club’s focus was on our tutoring program. More activities where club members interact with each other and are brought closer together through their appreciation for math will take place aside from tutoring,” Rivers said.

Competitions will also become one of the highest priorities for MAΘ this year. Practice will take place at least once a week for those who wish to participate in the competitions at any math level from Algebra 1 to Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus BC.

“With increased practice, time and dedication, I expect our performance in competitions to greatly improve. Also, with a revised constitution and membership duties, Mu Alpha Theta’s name will be heard, ” junior Joseph Villafañé said.

There will also be new requirements to join and remain in the club. A minimum 3.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) in math is necessary for one to qualify for Mu Alpha Theta, and in order to remain in good standing, one must attend at least two competitions.

Tutoring for anyone who needs help in science and math officially began on Sept. 9 in room 2102 and will take place weekly on Mondays and Tuesdays after school from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.