A Phone to Top All Others?

Apple

Apple introduces the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

Mariam Ahumada, Staff Writer

A phone made to surpass all expectations and leave competitors dead in their tracks? Maybe. Maybe not. Ever since Apple announced that the iPhone 6 was going to make history, people have been scrabbling and searching for updates on their current devices. But, as always, Apple managed to keep everything under wraps until the official unveiling on Sept. 9 at the Flint Center in Cupertino, California. 

As their newest innovations, Apple has succeeded in designing and producing the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. The new Plus model has a larger display of 5.5 inches, relatively larger than the 4.7 inch display of the regular model.

“Apple has let out two new devices, each with its unique characteristics that differentiate it from the other. For example, the iPhone 6 Plus is more sophisticated, based off of the fact that it has a larger display, 80 times faster graphics, and more efficient camera features,” freshman Mauro Gonzalez said.

Apple has not only introduced two new iPhones, but has also remade the iPhones overused design. The square model of previous iPhones has been replaced with a rounder, smoother, thinner and more comfortable design.

“At first I thought the iPhone 5S was perfect and that it couldn’t be beat, but Apple has done it again with the beautifully designed iPhone 6,” junior Erick Rivera said.

Apple has implemented a new, more efficient camera and software in these updated models. The iPhone 6 camera not only has a better resolution, but also has a steadier camera for taking pictures and videos on the move. This iPhone will also have the new iOS 8 software, which will allow for an easier and improved experience.  

Another new update is access to Apple Pay, a new payment system where there is no need for cash or credit cards. With the use of the iPhone’s fingerprint sensor, the owner simply places their finger on the home button and the purchase is processed and completed. This system also makes online purchases easier by eliminating the need to fill out billing and address information.

Both the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available for preorder by Sept. 12 and in stores as soon as Sept. 19. The iPhone 6 starting price (with a two year contract) is $199 for 16GB, $299 for 64GB and, for the first time ever, there’s a 128GB model that will be sold for $399. The iPhone 6 Plus starting price (with a two year contract) is $299 for 16GB, $399 for 64GB, and $499 for the new 128GB. All models will be sold in gold, silver and space gray colors.

Apple claims that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be the biggest breakthrough in iPhone history since the original model. With the new design, technology and software, the iPhone 6 might just be the greatest smartphone yet. However, only time will tell whether these new models will go down in time as a technological precedent.