Young Writers Awards Submissions Due Nov. 1

Chase Bagnall-Koger, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Bennington College’s twenty-second annual Young Writers Awards competition is currently accepting submissions. The deadline is Sunday, Nov. 1.

Entries for the competition can be submitted online at bennington.edu/ywa. This competition is free to enter.

Students in the 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades during the current academic year may enter in one of the following categories:

• Poetry (a group of three poems)
  • Fiction (a short story or one-act play)
  • Nonfiction (a personal or academic essay)

First-, second-, and third-place prizes up to $500 will be awarded for each genre.

All entries must be original work reviewed, approved, and sponsored by a high school teacher. Sponsoring teachers will be used as a contact for the competition should we have any questions. Homeschooled students are asked to select a mentor to sponsor their writing.

Young Writers Award finalists and winners are also eligible for undergraduate scholarships at Bennington. YWA finalists who apply, are admitted, and enroll at Bennington will receive a $10,000 scholarship every year for four years, for a total of $40,000. YWA winners who apply, are admitted, and enroll at Bennington will receive a $15,000 scholarship every year for four years, for a total of $60,000.

Judges include Bennington College faculty and students.

More information about the Young Writers Awards and past winning submissions can be found on the Bennington College Website.