CAP Events for October 2020

The+month+of+October+is+a+stressful+time+for+college+applicants%2C+but+there+are+many+events+coming+up+that+can+help+alleviate+stress+and+help+students+get+informed.+

Ms. Driver

The month of October is a stressful time for college applicants, but there are many events coming up that can help alleviate stress and help students get informed.

Chase Bagnall-Koger, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The month of October is traditionally a busy time for seniors applying to colleges and is a great time for younger students to explore the opportunities and obligations that will come towards the end of their high school careers. To aid students during this time, College Assistance Program Advisor Ms. Driver has arranged the following events for Cavaliers in different grades.

Seniors– On Oct. 8 Ms. Driver will be hosting Mr. Chris Magnan from the University of Miami’s Financial Aid office as he goes through the CSS Profile and how it is processed and used at private institutions for students and families to apply for and qualify for private institutional funds. He will also be covering state aid, FAFSA & bright futures.  Pre-Registration is required through the CAP Edmodo.

Freshman – Juniors – College Planning Begins NOW!   On Oct. 13 learn more and how to start looking for those great micro-scholarships with our wonderful raise.me partners in this seminar.

Seniors–  On Oct. 13 FAFSA Night with Miami Dade College will take place to advise students on how to fill out FAFSA. Students and their parents can join the meeting by clicking this link.

Seniors– On Oct. 15 a moderated a town hall with the Admissions Directors of Florida’s 12 public institutions (FIU, UF, FSU, UCF, UNF, USF, UWF, FAMU, FAU, FGCU, New College of Florida & Polytech) AND Florida’s Dept of Education will take place. They will do their best to answer our most pressing questions.

Juniors and Seniors – Be sure to look at this flyer about Ivy Leagues to get info & registration links for the multiple sessions Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, UPenn, Princeton & Yale will be holding throughout the month.

All grade levels -On Oct. 18 over 200 colleges will be presenting and in breakout rooms to answer your questions about admissions, financial aid and more.  Please visit here to preregister.

All grade levels: On Oct. 21  MDCPS and our Transition specialists will discuss transitions and supporting students with disabilities to college.  You can register for this event here.

All grade levels – On Oct. 22 students and families can visit our Historically Black Colleges and Universities Fair. 

All Grade Levels – On Oct. 28- See attached Flyer for HBCU College Fair

All grade levels  – To finish up our month of events on Oct 29  MDCPS’s Adult Education Programs will present on the array of opportunities available through our vocational-technical programs right here in our county.

All grade levels – Ms. Driver will also be holding CAP office hours every day before school and during lunches.