highlights quarantine kitchen
May 1, 2020
Looking for some quick and (mostly) healthy treats during quarantine? Featured below are a few favorite recipes, which are sure to satisfy between meals or late night cravings. No need for special equipment or skills to complete these classic yet innovative dishes. Ranging from ultra healthy foods to familiar comfort foods here there is a dish for everyone.
- 1 cup of kale
- ½ an apple
- ½ an avocado
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons walnuts
- ½ a tomato
- ¼ cup of carrot shavings
- In a serving bowl, add the one cup kale or greens of choice.
- Cut avocado (cubed), cut apple into thin slices, and place them in the bowl.
- Add other toppings of choice such as tomatoes or carrot shaving (optional) .
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, salt and squeezed lemon as desired to the bowl.
- Mix ingredients together to combine.
- Garnish with feta cheese and walnuts.
- 1 slice of bread
- ½ of an avocado
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Half a lemon
- Salt + Paper
- 2 tablespoons of feta cheese
- Garlic powder
- 1 egg
- Begin by toasting your bread of choice.
- In the meantime, take half of an avocado and mash it in a bowl with a fork.
- Season the mashed avocado with olive oil, lemon, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- Once the toast is ready, spread avocado mixture evenly onto the toast.
- Place olive oil in a small pan, on medium heat. Then crack an egg on to the heated pan, adding a pinch of salt to season.
- Allow the egg to cook on for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove egg from pan and place on top of the previously prepared toast.
Yogurt and fruit bowl
- 1 cup of vanilla greek yogurt
- Granola or Nature Valley bar
- 1 teaspoon of any fruit jelly
- Place the cup of yogurt into a bowl.
- Cut your selection of fruits (apples, strawberries, blueberries, mango, and bananas) into small pieces and place on top of yogurt.
- Add granola or use crushed Nature Valley bars for crunch.
- Drizzle honey or fruit jelly for extra flavor.
- 4 cups of oats
- ½ cup of butter
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup of peanut butter
- ¼ cocoa powder or ½ chocolate chips
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine butter, milk, sugar, and cocoa powder in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat.
- Stir ingredients until butter has melted.
- Increase heat to medium, and while stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla extract, stirring until peanut butter is completely combined and melted into the mixture.
- Add oats and mix until fully coated in chocolate.
- Add spoonfuls of the mixture to a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Allow to cool and harden before serving
- ½ cup of frozen fruit
- ½ cup of Fresh fruit
- ½ cup of Kale
- 1 cup of Orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup of Ice
- In a blender, add frozen fruits, fresh fruits, kale, orange juice, peanut butter, greek yogurt, and ice.
- Blend until combined and when a thick consistency has been created. (Do not over blend)
- Pour out smoothie base into a bowl
- Add sliced fresh fruits of choice (ex: bananas, strawberries, blueberries, apples…) on top of the base.
- Garnish with granola and drizzled honey to taste.