• GO CAVS!

Ready for the Next Step: Questbridge Recipients

Cameryn Padron

Chase Bagnall-Koger, Staff Writer

QuestBridge is a national non-profit organization which matches high-achieving, low-income youth with colleges and universities around the country. This program provides scholarships and financial aid to students who have done exceptionally well during their high school careers and throughout the selection process. College is widely considered to be crucial for success in most careers, but places a huge financial burden on students and their families. QuestBridge helps to alleviate much of that additional stress so that students can focus on their education and enjoying their college experience. As can be expected, thousands of people apply for this program and eagerly await the results. When the results were announced, four students from Coral Gables High School were selected to attend various colleges, all with full ride scholarships.

Senior Hilda Delgado recently found out that the QuestBridge program matched her to Haverford College in Pennsylvania. Haverford College, located about 25 minutes away from Philadelphia, is a small liberal arts college which Delgado has been wanting to attend since her junior year of high school. “When I saw I got in I was surprised but also really proud of myself because I really did not expect to get matched to the school,” senior Hilda Delgado said. Delgado looks forward to making connections with peers, especially her fellow QuestBridge scholars, and meeting people in this exciting new chapter of her life.

After an extensive application process including two essays and countless questions, Yvanna Cajina was also matched to Haverford College in Pennsylvania. Like Delgado, Cajina has always wanted to attend a liberal arts school where she will be able to pursue her passions. Her scholarship includes fully paid tuition, fees, food and housing. With the program’s monetary support, she can focus on her goals of forming relationships with her classmates and professors as well as studying abroad.

“I’m hoping to bond with the other QuestBridge scholars in the school, study abroad, work on my peace, justice and human rights concentration and just have fun,” senior Yvanna Cajina said.

Elizabeth Ruiz was matched to Davidson College in North Carolina. She was drawn to this liberal arts school as it is a good place to study her intended major of Psychology. Attending Davidson will allow her the opportunity to grow not only academically but also as a person. Though she was initially frightened at the thought of being so far from home, she is looking forward to adapting to life on campus and all the new experiences it will bring.

The final Cavalier Questbridge Scholar will be traveling more than 1,200 miles away to Colby College in Waterville, Maine. Lior Colina first heard about Questbridge from his school counselor during his junior year and decided to apply. His dreams came true when he found out he was matched to Colby. Colina says that his interests in a science-related major are contrasted with future attendance at a liberal arts school but believes that it is likely to set him apart from other college students and will continue to do so later in life when he joins the workforce. While he is unsure what to expect from his college experience, he is looking forward to the future and cannot wait to attend next autumn.

Due to years of hard work and dedication, these students were able to win Questbridge scholarships to top universities across the nation. However thrilled they may be to begin the next chapter of their lives with the assistance of QuestBridge, these individuals will forever be Cavaliers in their hearts.