Gables’ Stellar Science Department

Kelsy Pacheco

Some of the many science teachers that make up the Science Department.

Kelsy Pacheco, Staff Writer

Being a science teacher can be a pretty cool job, getting the chance to dissect things and set things on fire every now and then. But there’s more to all the cool labs that happen during the day. Below is in inside look behind some of the teachers that make the science department what it is today:

Mr. Molina giving a lecture
Kelsy Pacheco
Mr. Molina giving a lecture

Mr. Molina

Mr. Molina had taken many steps before becoming a teacher. Majoring in Sports Medicine and graduating from Barry University, Mr. Molina had first started out at an athletic trainer at Gables. For years he had been an athletic trainer and then took a job as Athletic Director at Gables. From there he spent the next three years meeting his teaching requirements. Now, for the past six years, he has been teaching at Gables. In the past he has taught earth science, care and prevention of athletic injuries and is currently teaching Pre-IB and IB Biology and Biology honors.

“Science was always my favorite subject in school. I love how it all works. Like the way the human body functions, how incredibly complex it is. I’m fascinated that we even work at all! I’m still mind blown away by some of the ways things work in our universe,” Mr. Molina said.

Ms. Kiely

Ms. Kiely explaining a chemistry problem on the board
Kelsy Pacheco

Being a Gables alumnus, Ms. Kiely came back two years ago and was able to call Gables home again. After graduating from Gables, she got her bachelors in psychology at FIU and later a masters in neuroscience at the University of Tuebingen in Germany. After doing research for many years she started to miss the classroom environment. Eventually she got into teaching, in the past teaching middle school science, and now, teaching Pre-IB and IB Chemistry.

“I enjoy being able to talk about a subject that I love and hopefully inspire my students to find something they can also be passionate about.  I like being able to help people and I figured that if I could understand people a little bit better than maybe I could be more helpful,” Ms. Kiely said.

Ms. Phillips explaining something on the Promethean board
Kelsy Pacheco

Ms. Phillips

After attending Miami Beach Senior High, Ms. Phillips then went onto majoring in biology at FIU, Guidance & Concealing at STU, and Leadership at Nova Southeastern University. When a recruiter from Miami Dade County Public Schools went to speak at FIU, they spoke about teaching and the benefits that it had. From there, Ms. Phillips had decided to go into education, and during her first year as a teacher, she realized that she loved her job. In the past, Ms. Phillips has taught middle school science, Earth and Space science, Physical science, Chemistry, and is now teaching Pre-IB and IB Biology.

“Science has been my first love ever since I could remember,  I was always a science minded person,” Ms. Phillips said.

Ms. Virginia 

Ms. Virginia explaining the classwork to one of her students
Yeileny Lopez

Having worked in many places prior to Gables, this is Ms. Virginia’s first year teaching in a high school classroom. Before Gables, Ms. Virginia managed the University of Miami’s shark research program, worked at a camp for the Catalina Island marine Institute in California, and tutored kids in the department of Juvenile Criminal Justice. To read more about Ms. Virginia’s teaching style and hobbies, read her spotlight here.