The Museum Project

Orestes Gonzalez

The Museum Project members for the year 2014-2015

Albany Muria, Staff Writer

• The Museum Project members for the year 2014-2015

• Members discussing future plans of action

• Members had the opportunity to speak to the City Commissioner.

• Members Joseph Vallafane and Albany Muria participating in a mini gallery competition

• President Joseph Villafane and member Rafael Moreno at Bike Tour

• Children’s Activity at the Coral Gables Farmer’s Market

• Member Gisselle Gonzalez helps out at the Children’s Activity at the Coral Gables Farmer’s Market

The Museum Project (TMP) is a club at the Coral Gables Museum started by a group of students from Gables. It provides high school students with the opportunity to become involved in their community. The club meets every other Friday to discuss future events for volunteers to assist in.

“As a co-founder and current president of TMP I am overwhelmed at the tremendous success and growth that we have experienced within our debut year. I have become obsessed with pursuing our vision and have grown to love the Coral Gables Museum itself. But for the next year, I want to propose TMP’s expansion beyond just the museum, and into the international sphere of service as well. To all Gables students who are not already a part of the project I say: join now or be left out, because we are moving forward,” junior Joseph Villafane said.

Every meeting consists of the officers and club members going over that day’s agenda concerning all of the month’s events. After discussing events, the group usually participates in mini-contests involving galleries in the museum.

Most of the monthly events are family days for all children and their families every second Sunday of the month: volunteers assist by helping with activities for kids.  TMP also assists Bike Tours as bike valets. The museum also hosts a Summer Camp, where volunteers help with activities and field trips for children all summer long.

“The Museum Project has really given me the opportunity to help out my community and serve as a part of a group of teenagers trying to improve the city they love,” TMP Treasurer and MAST Academy senior Daniela Muinos said.

TMP is now planning to have a fundraiser for one of the museum’s sister cities: Sao Paulo, Brazil. The members recently sat with the City Commissioner and will soon speak with the City Mayor to come up with future plans for the club to take action.

“One of my favorite events from TMP was the spring camp because it allowed other volunteers and I to interact with the kids for a week, as well as to come up with creative and fun activities to do,” junior Breanna Mendoza said.

TMP is still open to any high school student who wishes to complete their community service hour requirement and has the desire to get involved in the community. The Volunteer Open House will take place on May 3 at 12 p.m. at the Coral Gables Museum for any students that would like to find out more about the club.