A Musician At Heart

Alex Leon, a freshman here at Coral Gables Senior High, has already started excelling in high school and has found his passion in life. Alex is a part of CGHS’ Band of Distiction, and one could say he is the proudest band geek of them all.

His love for music began in elementary school where Leon would play the congos all day long, although he practically knew nothing about the congos.  In middle school, was when it all fell into place and every puzzle piece fit. While attending, he first started playing the alto saxophone. Then later on in the following years, he learned how to play the piano and the baritone saxophone from his former band teacher outside of class.

Alex took band for the next three years and developed his skills. He is now able to play four different instruments: the saxophone, piano, congos, and bassoon. Alex mainly plays the saxophone and the other three on his spare time. 

When asked about his thoughts on Gables, Leon responded, “I know I am supposed to be here at Coral Gables. I feel at home and complete; they actually take music seriously, and it’s just what I’m looking for. Gables has helped me play songs I never imagined I was able to learn, how to read music easily, and it has been a blast ever since. Gables is extremely helpful for those who are willing to learn something new.”

One could only wonder why Leon is always trying to achieve the daunting task of learning how to play different instruments. Leon practices everyday and stays after school most of the time to practice his music, always making sure he hits the right notes at the right time.With hard work and dedication, Leon hopes to one day become a professional musician.

“My aspiration is quite a wide range, but all of them involve music. Whether it’s joining a jazz band, a marching band, or even going solo if I have to. I hope that can actually write my own music someday and master a couple more instruments such as the trumpet,” Leon stated after being asked about his aspirations about music.

Leon aspires to one day become famous in the music industry and be able to fulfill his dream of becoming a musician.

Practice makes perfect, so whenever there is a competition or a show that Leon is performing in, he makes it his goal to practice until he gets its right. Leon is always rehearsing incessantly, he is known for being extremely responsible when people are counting on him. As he never forgets to bring his instrument to class or forgets to bring his uniform; he always seems to be on task.

“He is extremely competitive and dedicated to his music, and I do believe he will be successful in the future with music if he keeps on being as responsible as he is right now. He is absolutely amazing, without a doubt. I’m glad to have him for the next 4 years,” stated by Mr.Muncy, Leon’s current band instructor at Gables.

Alex is planning to continue working hard to become a musician and make his dreams come true. With hard work and dedication, Leon will be right on track to fulfilling his dreams.